New to group

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 35 replies
  • 42 subscribers

Hi, please allow me to introduce myself, my name is Alan I have terminal oesophagus cancer with secondary liver, I only found out last night at 5ish when my Macmillan nurse phoned to say she had attended the consultants meeting following my pet-CT scan and she was phoning me with bad news, the tumour is large and surrounded by large lymph nodes that are not treatable she said I may be able to try chemotherapy if my body can take it and that may extend my life to 12 months, I sat here alone, I live alone I had cold sweats and shakes I was looking for support, I am completely devastated I was only diagnosed 5th December.

How fast life can change, I welcome any advice.

Alan

• Hey there Alan, 

Well, I guess you could look at it like at least your worst year ever is almost over, hopefully giving way to one of your best years ever?

Now, I hope you don't find that insensitive, we just have a different way of looking at things around here that some folks might find a bit blunt and sometimes a bit dark or twisted. 

I can't offer any advice with your treatment, but I can say that now that you've found this group, you'll never be alone again. We'll always be here to chat to about anything and everything. 

Lass

Xx

I have no medical training, everything I post is an opinion or educated guess. It is not medical advice.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Lass

Hi Lads, what a smashing reply, I will never be alone again, at this time I could not ask for more from a group.

Thank you

Alan

• Hi Alan

I'm Tvman, I have honestly just come back from visiting my cousin in the next village. He also has been diagnosed with cancer of the oesophagus and the surrounding lymph nodes are also cancerous so an operation is also out of the question. He has a tumour right at the bottom of the oesophagus so he is unable to eat many foods, they have to be soft.

He has only 7 more chemo pills to take and his oncologist has said that's it, he can't have any more. So he's more or less in the same position as you, future not certain, but definitely don't give up. Never. There are people here that you'll meet that have been written off years ago, so keep positive

Take care Alan, 

Tvman

Love life and family.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Sorry Lass the spell checker altered Lass to Lads, I would turn of if I new how to Grin

• FormerMember

Hi welcome to the group, although sorry to see you here. 

Theres a lot of people to support you here, and you are not alone, some are incurable but treatable and others are incurable with shortish sell by dates....mine is similar to yours, although was told in July I might not see Christmas and here I am.

its early days and you are probably still in shock so take a big breath and allow yourself to absorb the news, you don’t need to rush into any big treatment decisions, it’s ok to take your time to find the best path for you.  And it’s ok to give into the sadness and grief at the news too.

i hope you have support around you at this tough time but remember there are people on her who will no doubt pop along to welcome you and give you good advice.

Big hugs from here in Scotland xxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to tvman

Hi Tvman,

Sorry to hear about your cousin, I know what he is going through with being unable to eat, it is painful. I liquidise everything - what wouldn't I give to be able to eat a bag of fish and chips.

I see my oncologist in 2weeks time to hopefully start chemo, I will try to stay positive.

Thank you and I know how caring this group are by reading the posts over the last day or so.

Regards Alan

• FormerMember

My only support comes from the caring groups on Macmillan, they have managed to help me cope.

I take your advice I am taking several big breaths and trying hard to cope, the local hospice has been in touch by email and I am looking forward to meeting them, I really do need someone to discuss this with face to face.

Thanks roobarb the advice given is a help.

• FormerMember

Hi Alan 

welcome to the group, although I’m sorry that you qualify to join. I’m Daloni and I’ve been living with incurable cancer for nearly four years now. A combination of new treatments and clinical trials has kept me going long past my sell by date. 

I do remember well the day I heard the dread news that the cancer was back and was incurable. I immediately jumped to terminal in my head and felt as though I was dying. It took me a long while to learn to live again. 

The decision to get involved with the hospice is a good one. Their approach is all about helping you to live the best and most normal life you can. It’s so important to have someone to talk who’s not afraid to confront the reality of your situation but to see past it to the fact that you’re still you. 

It’s early days. Take things one step at a time. There is always someone here to listen, cry with, laugh with and offer a virtual hug if you need it. 

Hang in there! 

xxx

• Lol. Not to worry about autocorrect, I've been called a lot worse than a man in my time. 

;) 

Lass

Xx

I have no medical training, everything I post is an opinion or educated guess. It is not medical advice.

• FormerMember

Hi daloni,

What a wonderful welcome I have been given from the group, I honestly feel so much more relaxed and even a little optimistic .

As you say it is early days, I am so pleased you have proven them wrong and enjoying life four years later.

You mentioned clinical trials, can you tell me more when you get time.