The trial begins

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 40 replies
  • 43 subscribers

Hi folks 

After a couple of weeks of uncertainty I heard today that I have been accepted onto the clinical trial my doc had proposed. She waved the written confirmation in her hand, looking delighted, and then had me sign the consent forms. 

It’s good news on two counts. First, I am hopeful this trial will achieve something for me. It’s an approach that’s worked for me before and it fits with the genetic profile of the cancer I have. Second, my doc has managed to persuade the trials team to let me skip the genetic screening normally required by the trial. I have had a lot of work done on the genetics of the cancer in my body so the data were there already but it took some work to get hold of some of these (the testing was done at a different hospital) and to have the trials team accept them. If I’d had to go through screening first it would have taken about 3 months. My doc doesn’t think I can afford to wait that long so I would have been offered chemo instead. Who knew it could get so complicated? 

I had some blood tests today and the results are looking good so I’m cleared for a liver biopsy on Friday. Next they need an echocardiogram, possibly on Monday. That’s tricky to book at short notice, I’m told, and apparently will require a willing technician to do it in their lunch hour as a favour to the researchers. Finally, my team need to get all the info to the trials team for them to log it and complete the registration on Tuesday. Do they work on Christmas Eve? Nobody knows.

If we can jump all those hurdles, I’ll start treatment on December 27. If not, it will be a few days later. I kind of hope it will be later as I have plans to be away at Christmas. But I can see my team pulling out all the stops to get this moving and I am reluctant to slow their momentum. I can change plans if needs be. 

It’s an odd feeling. I just rock up at the hospital and give them my arm to stick a needle in. Behind the scenes there’s so much going on. 

When I got home the puppy took sick so obviously I had to sit and stroke her paw, all but ignoring my younger daughter who’d been sent home early from school feeling unwell. In fairness, she was fast asleep and when she awoke and found her puppy was sick she was as attentive to the puppy as I was. 

Phew! What a day. No surprise we didn’t manage the Christmas decorations today. Try again tomorrow 

xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Gragon

Thanks

xx

• Thanks Daloni, that is a very comprehensive response and all very helpful. I will make sure I accept the painkillers as you suggest. My paperwork suggests I will be in for a few hours before discharge, but not overnight. But I did have a bone biopsy a couple of years ago and they said the same and I still ended up in overnight, so will go prepared this time.

Hope your overnight stay allows you some sleep and you get out early tomorrow. No place like home, especially with your children and puppy.

Many thanks.

xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Dear 

Goodness! What a ordeal! These guys do need a Charm School or a lesson in diplomacy, or at least have compassion.   Maybe they have never seen the world from our perspective.

Sometimes I think the Docs are in overload. I know my second MCL (after I fired the first) Dr looked at me and treated me like a dead man walking (MCL survival after 3 years is 20%). He could not share my hope and attitude. As in he was dull and dead himself from burnout.

But the great news is you have succeeded and overcome obstacles. Congrats! You must have a great sense of accomplishment. Put up both arms in Rocky Balcoa Style and do the quick shuffle in a circle.

Wishing you Great luck and happiness as you progress through the process.

Merry Christmas and a very Brilliant New Year.

Hugs,

Millie

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Gragon

Good evening Gragon

i decided to read your write up on your page. You have been through such a lot. So many operations, removals etc and still you write wonderful support for everybody. I hope that drug does shrink your tumours. I wish you, your son and family a merry Christmas and a healthier new year.

• Hi Daloni

So you're on the 14th floor with a view of London What can you see?  A red light, a few blue ones and many, many white ones. I would advise you to get a good night's sleep and meanwhile I'll speak to someone very influential who will take all the brightness away overnight, they'll remove the lights and leave buildings! 

Hope you get home tomorrow without any diffs. Good luck.

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • Hi Daloni, I'm so glad everything is on track, biopsy done, daughter and Noodle on the mend. All you need to do now is rest, have a good sleep (if this is at all possible in hospital) have breakfast and get home safely! I hope you don't have to hang around waiting on your discharge papers or meds. I just hate it when they come and tell you you're "all set" to go, then three hours later you are still waiting for your official discharge!

Well, I am at a loss, I was sure I replied to this post yesterday but now it's no where to be seen! I don't think there was anything in the post that would be objectionable but then where has it gone! Anyway, you KNOW I'm in your corner and been thinking about you all day yesterday, wondering what time you'd be taken etc! 10 out of 10 for your step by step! That's exactly how mine went last year, even down to the overemphasising of the dangers! To be honest I felt sorry for the dr doing it because he was more nervous than I was and I was trying to cheer him up when he said "I don't think you realise just how tricky and actually dangerous these biopsies can be!" I assured him I did but he didn't believe me by then! I couldn't very well say I was making light of it because I was worried about him!!!     Things were much the same with the biopsy I had on 27/11/19 (no results yet) only it had to be a GA. They kept saying how difficult it was to get the patient turned over to work on the spine. Well,  do you have a date for your biopsy?        Last thing Daloni, our cancer hospital in Scotland has its own charity to help with expenses if for any reason you don't qualify for automatic help with the Trial Unit, also there's a McMillan Finance Office in the hospital, I think it's worth while making enquiries! I take it you have some kind of railcard! I do hope everything just falls into place now which I'm sure it will with such a great team behind you. Being able to miss the screening process is fantastic! I'm sure your family will understand there are some things that just take priority and treatment is top of the list!

Take Care and safe journey home fighting through the crowds! Night night!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Hi Yes I loved the imp story too, I'd never heard of it before! When my mum died, she died on 12th night, so I always like to have my tree etc down the day before, so no imps allowed in my house!

I'm so pleased your son is managing to visit over Christmas from Uni, I'm sure he'll be looking forward to some home cooking! Had you heard of the imps story in Ireland? Definitely not herd of it in Scotland and I love it!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to tvman

Hi

I can see lights galore but specifically the Shard and Canary Wharf. It’s quite something 

xx

• FormerMember

Dear ,

That must be quite a view. I hope you had a peaceful night and will soon be home with Noodle and the girls. Did Noodle get her certificate?

It takes my breath away to think about how much you've been through in such a short time, it's hard to find the right words. You are a very gutsy lady. You're in my thoughts all the time, I hope the trial will be the right one for you, and will keep you as well and stable as possible for as long as possible.

I've had a major decluttering mission this week, very successful and therapeutic, and today is all about the tree. Our family were very traditional too and the 12 days of Christmas are just about right for me to feel the magic. My neighbour puts her tree up on the 30th November, takes it down on Boxing Day and immediately starts the countdown to next Christmas, usually on FB.

Love the elf story, but glad we didn't have to do 'elf on a shelf' in my day!   

Hope everyone has a good day.   xx

• FormerMember

Ah! There you are ! I have been thinking about you and wondering how you’ve been getting on. It’s so nice to hear from you and to hear you sounding well and busy. I do like a declutter.

Looking back, yes it’s been an extraordinary few weeks for hospital visits. I’ve been through an entire trial this autumn and transitioned from dealing with the side effects of treatment to dealing with the effects of the cancer. It feels like a whirlwind right now as my team push to get me started on the new trial. They are amazing and I’m still standing.

I do feel as though I’ve aged. I can see it in my skin and my face. Yesterday I was asked by the nursing assistant wheeling me from the recovery room to the ward whether I had grandchildren. I should have been kind and said not yet. Instead I told her I started late and have a 15-year-old at home. 

I am really looking forward to a little more stability and hope, hope, hope that the new drug won’t produce too much in the way of side effects. I’m told there’s a patient at the trials unit who has been on it for two years and her cancer is shrinking. I know we are all different and that doesn’t mean the same will happen for me but it does give me hope. 

Do enjoy your tree decorating. I’m going to go home and decide with the girls how much decoration we want to put up. 

xxx