The trial begins

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 40 replies
  • 43 subscribers

Hi folks 

After a couple of weeks of uncertainty I heard today that I have been accepted onto the clinical trial my doc had proposed. She waved the written confirmation in her hand, looking delighted, and then had me sign the consent forms. 

It’s good news on two counts. First, I am hopeful this trial will achieve something for me. It’s an approach that’s worked for me before and it fits with the genetic profile of the cancer I have. Second, my doc has managed to persuade the trials team to let me skip the genetic screening normally required by the trial. I have had a lot of work done on the genetics of the cancer in my body so the data were there already but it took some work to get hold of some of these (the testing was done at a different hospital) and to have the trials team accept them. If I’d had to go through screening first it would have taken about 3 months. My doc doesn’t think I can afford to wait that long so I would have been offered chemo instead. Who knew it could get so complicated? 

I had some blood tests today and the results are looking good so I’m cleared for a liver biopsy on Friday. Next they need an echocardiogram, possibly on Monday. That’s tricky to book at short notice, I’m told, and apparently will require a willing technician to do it in their lunch hour as a favour to the researchers. Finally, my team need to get all the info to the trials team for them to log it and complete the registration on Tuesday. Do they work on Christmas Eve? Nobody knows.

If we can jump all those hurdles, I’ll start treatment on December 27. If not, it will be a few days later. I kind of hope it will be later as I have plans to be away at Christmas. But I can see my team pulling out all the stops to get this moving and I am reluctant to slow their momentum. I can change plans if needs be. 

It’s an odd feeling. I just rock up at the hospital and give them my arm to stick a needle in. Behind the scenes there’s so much going on. 

When I got home the puppy took sick so obviously I had to sit and stroke her paw, all but ignoring my younger daughter who’d been sent home early from school feeling unwell. In fairness, she was fast asleep and when she awoke and found her puppy was sick she was as attentive to the puppy as I was. 

Phew! What a day. No surprise we didn’t manage the Christmas decorations today. Try again tomorrow 

xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Dear it sounds as though he failed his course at charm school !!! However after a talking to by your good self he did the deed ! I hope you’ve had something to eat, you must be famished. Good luck on Monday, I’m shocked to hear you don’t get any help with travel cost, do they expect to travel by hoop and stick ! Keep your chin up.

• Hi Daloni

What a beast of a radiologist, does he not understand the bit about being sympathetic with the patient. Maybe if you had told him you were going to report him because of his attitude he might have been a different person. 

That's horrendous that you have to pay for your own transport, you're doing it because it's a trial that could lead to a breakthrough in cancer treatment. 

Good luck on Monday, I hope that all goes well, nice and smoothly, then come Friday, I wish you all success.

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to tvman

Hi

I knew I could rely on you for righteous indignation, and @johnty. Thank you. 

I have now had an nhs lunch bag. Bread roll, cheese triangle, orange and a yogurt and a cup of tea. Hurray! I have a secret stash of chocolate in my bag for later 

xxx

• Hi Daloni

That's almost exactly what we get if the cancer unit is running late and I'm there for lunch. We used to get soup but that's been taken off the menu because there are just some low circular tables so we may spill our hot soup on our laps. 

Re the chocolate, thank heaven for small mercies, it's the simple things in life that are the most rewarding Slight smile

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • FormerMember

Oh my goodness! You have had a liver biopsy! I’m wondering if we have the same man! The person who did mine was totally without compassion. I had a nurse who told me to look at her. The local, I had 5 of them. The local didn’t numb the area. It was bloody horrible thing to do. And they did it twice. But my reaction wasn’t good. Because he didn’t give me any warning that he was going to do the second sample. I swore at him!

• FormerMember

Hi

Liver biopsies are not fun - this is my third and I haven’t enjoyed any of them. Yours sounds particularly trying. The radiologist didn’t lack compassion - he was very concerned about me. It was just he played up the risks to a quite unnerving degree. Anyway. It’s all over now. I’m on the ward, all alone in a four bedded bay on the 14th floor with a view across London. There is roast chicken for dinner. What more could I ask? Don’t answer that...

xx

• Hi Daloni,

Glad your biopsy is done. I had posted a query in the secondary liver cancer forum asking for some advice on what liver biopsy procedure was like but no one has responded with personal experience. I can read up , but there is no substitute for experience and you have had 3! I am due for one on Monday ( an unwanted Christmas present). You say you are in hospital now - how long do you stay in? I know what the procedure involves, but how long does it take, and how quickly is recovery ? Sorry, but you have brains I can pick. Enjoy your view and roast chicken.

x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to ownedbystaffies

Hi

Well. Not fun, as per above! 

The procedure itself did not take long, probably about 45 minutes all in and just a few of those taking the actual biopsy. The rest was prep. I’ll do you a step by step. 

I arrived at hospital, usual checks and into a gown, paper pants and compression stockings. I’d fasted from the night before. 

Then I went into the doctor’s room where they had my most recent CT scan on the screen. We had a chat about the risks and then I signed the consent form.

He spent some time with his ultra sound equipment scoping out my insides and checking what he saw against the CT scan. I was lying on my side but I find this incredibly painful - my poor cancer riddled kidney is very swollen. I can see it under the skin and it feels like a tennis ball in size and resistance and I can only lie on my back now. We switched to me lying on my back and luckily he was able to see the liver tumour on his ultrasound. 

So next he put on sterile drapes and sterilised my skin (cold fluid) then injected skin numbing agent (stings a bit). He demonstrated the clicking sound I would hear as he took the sample. Then in with the needle. He asked me to stop breathing, click, sample done. Off to recovery where I was asked to lie on my right side to reduce the risk of bleeding . 

The first couple of biopsies I had nasty shoulder pain - that’s to do with the way the nerves run through your body. This time not so much. I was given IV paracetamol and fentanyl for the pain - some of this was biopsy related but most was just my normal pain exacerbated by not taking my pain killers in the morning and by lying on my side. After two hours I was allowed to drink water and to eat after four hours. 

I will be in overnight and home tomorrow assuming nothing untoward happens between now and then. I’m not expecting it to.

It is quite straightforward really. But it’s quite traumatic and it is risky - the radiologist explained that the position and size of my liver tumours made the procedure unusually difficult. He said he’d rather do a biopsy elsewhere  but there was nowhere suitable. He couldn’t risk damaging my kidney as then it would have to be removed, for example, and the cancer there is all mixed up with major blood vessels. So it had to be the liver. 

The only advice I have is not to downplay the pain. Let them give you the good stuff. IV paracetamol is very effective but fentanyl is more so and knocks me out. 

I hope this helps. I hope your biopsy goes smoothly and that getting a sample is straightforward 

xxx

• FormerMember

I like roast chicken! Plus a view of London. Shame about having to pay travel expenses. Usually hospitals have a area where they re-enburst you the money of travel if you are on a state pension or certain benefits. Ask a nurse about it. Hope you still have your tickets and hopefully your entitlement proofs. 

• Hi ,

I'm pleased to hear that you are recovering well.  Just think, you will be able to tell your friends and family that you had a night in London on mad Friday?

I hope it stays quiet for you in your little bay.  I do love looking over London at night.  It somehow seem a bit magical with all the twinkling lights.

I hope you enjoyed your chicken dinner and wishing you a swift and smooth hospital discharge tomorrow. 

Love and hugs,

Gragon xx