sleep

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 14 replies
  • 41 subscribers

Hi

Im new to the group so sorry if i've not got the correct way of doing things, but i have a question on sleep.

I wake at 2.15, because i just fall asleep unconscious at 20.15, ive put it down to the steroids, but i want to break out of the cycle. Im slowly coming off the Steroids and im not on any other treatment until Jan.

Thanks

p

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I usually go to bed by 9.30 pm at latest. Tend to wake up for loo every 3-4 hours.. I go back to sleep each time until about 7am

Tessa

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Dear pa65,I also take steroids and we seem to be keeping the same hours where sleep is concerned. After I’ve had my evening meal I’m usually out for the count within 40 minutes, I then sleep very soundly and wake up in the early hours and then can never get back to sleep so get up and potter around. I have yet to find a solution for this phenomenon and have decided to go with the flow. Hopefully when you come off steroids you can stay awake in the evenings and get up reasonably early so your body clock can naturally reset it self. I also think the subconscious plays a part in waking us up early as cancer likes to play tricks with the mind. How are you doing at the moment ? I hope you are getting the support you need and you will always find a friendly ear in the forum.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thanks for your replies Its so good to know I am not alone in the cold dark hours. I was starting to go mad. Thank goodness for netflicks.

I am trying to go with the flow and I feel so much better knowing im not the only one!.

Its funny i

I feel I am getting the medical support but I have joined this forum as I feel a bit along when it comes to stuff like this as nobody really understands.

Thanks

pa65

• FormerMember

It sounds like the normal and I am not alone!

• FormerMember

Hi Pa65

I dread my steroid days - only 3 days worth each 3 week cycle but its enough 2 upset my poor sleep pattern even more. I can cope with the bright pink, neck & chest that also comes along with it. But I need 2 sleep & so does dear husband. With me not sleeping I read with the bedside lamp on but the energy saving bulb in it lights up the room fantastically - poor man is sleep deprived but neither of us wants 2 move 2 the spare room. I've tried the clip on lights that go on top of books (just got on my nerves when it kept falling off), also used iPad 2 read e-books (meaning I can switch off lamp) but I end up holding it all night whilst dosing on & off....

I have new anti-emetics which really do make me drowsy but it's the trying 2 sleep right through the night which eludes me...

All suggestions 4 hello with sleep r gratefully accepted.

Ciao

WB xx

• FormerMember

Jane

If you have any luck breaking out of the pattern will you let me know.

Thanks!

Paul 

• FormerMember

Dear

i will most certainly be in touch if I come up with a solution but I wouldn’t hold your breath !
    how are you doing at the moment ? Is being a member of the forum giving you some comfort.

• FormerMember

I’m glad I joined. I felt along even though my other half has been brilliant, but he doesn’t really understand what it feels like. Especially as I was so heathy from the neck down!. It’s all in my head and that’s hard to explain. So it was nice to hear I’m not the only one going through the same. 
    How long have you known?

paul

• FormerMember

Dear Paul, I was diagnosed 17 months ago, read my profile if you want the extended version. I always knew from the start there wasn’t going to be a happy ending so adjusted quite quickly and as a result haven’t suffered from too much anxiety about the situation. I take each day as it comes and put all my energies into having the best quality of life I can. Being a member of the forum has given me a new perspective on life, I consider myself very fortunate to have a supportive husband as this is not always the case for all patients.

• FormerMember

That’s interesting as I’m learning to deal with each day and not look ahead too far when I know I don’t have that luxury. I’m not stressed or depressed. I used to be away five days at work now I’m at home seven days which is harder for the long suffering other half than me. 

I was diagnosed on 8th July so still getting used it, but getting there. 
    thanks for sharing.

paul