YOU NEVER KNOW THE MINUTE!!!

• 149 replies
  • 44 subscribers

Hi Gang, Well the day before we went to Salou for a fortnight, I had my six month check after my spinal decompression op. They took an X-ray and the surgeon admired his metal handiwork which is now holding my spine together. He was very pleased and told me there would be no need to make a further appointment but I could phone his secretary if I started having problems. So off we went on holiday!  

When we got back, there was a letter from him asking me to contact his secretary to make an appointment as he now had the written report for the X-ray. I phoned and was told I'd need a CT scan which they had already booked for me as well as a further aptm for his clinic to discuss the results. The latter was last Monday 28th! On the X-ray & scan there was a shadow just at the bottom of my right shoulder blade. The consultant examined my back and felt a lump. He explained that he was going to take a biopsy to be sent away but after the scan, he said it was too deep to do it with a local anaesthetic so suggested surgery to remove it with a GA then they will send it for biopsy.

Next he said he had arranged to do the pre-op assessment there and then, which came as a bit of a shock as you can imagine!   However, that's it done and now it's just a case of waiting for a date to get it removed! I phoned his secretary once we got home, to tell here we had booked to go to Manchester from 5-10 Dec inclusive to see the Christmas Markets etc but I also said I didn't expect to get word as quick as that but was just letting her know anyway! We all know urgent can mean 6-12 weeks with the NHS, so I won't hold my breath!

So there you have it! I've had a few other lumps etc removed in the six years since stage4 dx but this is the first they can't do at the clinic with a local anaesthetic! Up until Monday we hadn't said anything about it to our son and daughter and to see "that look" again on their faces was heartbreaking! I'm trying to be upbeat about it, smiling and saying it could be nothing of course! Any prayers, I would be grateful for, they certainly can't hurt! This will be my eleventh surgery but you never get used to it! Take Care everyone!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to anndanv

I looked it up. That seems wonderful. So much more than just a garden centre - though I love those anyway. 

I hope your back holds up, and you are able to enjoy the day. Remember to pace yourself.

• FormerMember

Dear Annette

I hope you have a lovely time with your grandchildren. There is nothing better than seeing everything through their eyes and the garden centre looks lovely.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi,  

I was trying to look up the trial you mentioned, but couldn't find anything. I'm sorry you were turned down. 

I had 6 months of Capecitabine in 3 weekly cycles, starting right after radiotherapy. It was difficult, as you say. But there is so little available for TNBC, I'm not willing to turn down anything without trying. As I did with Pembro, I experienced some disease progression whilst taking Capecitabine.

I'm seeing the trials team tomorrow, though it's mostly for a review of the colitis. I have to recover from that and clear all the Pembrolizumab  and steroids from my system before they'll do anything else. The only things they have mentioned so far are the plasmaMatch trial (Group E) and standard chemo with Eribulin. As I had no response to any of the other chemo regjmes I've tried, I'm leaning towards the trial.

Maybe we'll both hear something positive tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

• &  Well, I'm pleased to say I managed to get to Gouldings for our day out and it was perfect! The children were so excited it was infectious! Santa and his grotto were amazing as was the tea and mince pies! It was such an amazing day, one I just wouldn't want to miss! It was -4 & foggy when we left home but the sun managed to burn through just as we got there!  The grass was white as were the trees that looked frozen in time! It all looked like a picture postcard or like a lovely Traditional Christmas Card! Amazing!!!!

I am sore and exhausted but it was worth it! I wouldn't have changed a thing! A Superb day was had by ALL!!! 

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • FormerMember

That sounds absolutely perfect, . I am so happy for you. You really deserved this treat and I do hope you don’t find yourself in too much pain as a consequence. 

As you can see I’m up in the wee small hours. I went to bed free from pain and decided not to take the 10mg oxynorm tablet I use for breakthrough pain that’s not controlled by the patch. Was that ever a mistake. It’s now 20 minutes since I woke in staggering pain and reached for the pills. It is beginning to ease up, thank goodness. 

Xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Dear Annette I am so happy you had the op an will be wishing good results from the biopsy. It sounds like you had a lovely day, you describe it well, I could imagine the festive feelings and the excitement of the children, it made me think of Christmas carols being sung on a snowy day! I hope you will able to rest for a while and have a lovely Christmas with your family.

Dear Daloni and TV man and any other "fruit loops" awake, I am sorry you are in pain and hope you mange to get some respite soon. I am not in pain, just awake and wondering if I should polish of the remainder of a big cake someone gave me earlier. Chemo has totally changed my taste for savoury food to liking all things sweet! thinking about it won't let me sleep so in the interests of my health I should really eat it ! lol. Sleep well soon, love Pat xxx

• FormerMember

Dear Annette

I bet you had a wonderful time. There is nothing like seeing everything through children's eyes. I'm sure you've mentioned but I wondered how old your grandchildren are, for my mental picture. I can imagine that you were exhausted but replete by the end of the day!

Right.... I'm off to finish wallpapering the house . . . last room,  in miniature, thank goodness!

• Hi Pat

Re the cake, I have deliberated and debated on your predicament for all of 10 seconds and I have concluded that you should do what I would do, GO FOR IT Pat Slight smile

I wish I were there to help you lol..

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • Hi Annette

Sounds like you made the right decision and I applaud you for that, I hope you had a wonderful day, it does sound like it.

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • Hi Daloni

I can empathise with you at regards breakthrough pain, I know how bsd it can be. I suffered it for months and thought I would mention it to my GP one day I was in. I also used to wake up people through the night when I woke up screaming.

The doctor prescribed Sevredol for me, mentioning casually the words, breakthrough pain and I thought what a wonderful descriptive phrase. Of course, the tablet worked, cutting out the sudden pain once or twice through the night. 

What a pity she can't stop the other pains I suffer from because of the spinal damage, well she said if she did, I wouldn't be compos mentis!

Ah well, I wouldn't be able to catch up on the site posts if I slept all night.

Tvman xx

Love life and family.