YOU NEVER KNOW THE MINUTE!!!

• 149 replies
  • 49 subscribers

Hi Gang, Well the day before we went to Salou for a fortnight, I had my six month check after my spinal decompression op. They took an X-ray and the surgeon admired his metal handiwork which is now holding my spine together. He was very pleased and told me there would be no need to make a further appointment but I could phone his secretary if I started having problems. So off we went on holiday!  

When we got back, there was a letter from him asking me to contact his secretary to make an appointment as he now had the written report for the X-ray. I phoned and was told I'd need a CT scan which they had already booked for me as well as a further aptm for his clinic to discuss the results. The latter was last Monday 28th! On the X-ray & scan there was a shadow just at the bottom of my right shoulder blade. The consultant examined my back and felt a lump. He explained that he was going to take a biopsy to be sent away but after the scan, he said it was too deep to do it with a local anaesthetic so suggested surgery to remove it with a GA then they will send it for biopsy.

Next he said he had arranged to do the pre-op assessment there and then, which came as a bit of a shock as you can imagine!   However, that's it done and now it's just a case of waiting for a date to get it removed! I phoned his secretary once we got home, to tell here we had booked to go to Manchester from 5-10 Dec inclusive to see the Christmas Markets etc but I also said I didn't expect to get word as quick as that but was just letting her know anyway! We all know urgent can mean 6-12 weeks with the NHS, so I won't hold my breath!

So there you have it! I've had a few other lumps etc removed in the six years since stage4 dx but this is the first they can't do at the clinic with a local anaesthetic! Up until Monday we hadn't said anything about it to our son and daughter and to see "that look" again on their faces was heartbreaking! I'm trying to be upbeat about it, smiling and saying it could be nothing of course! Any prayers, I would be grateful for, they certainly can't hurt! This will be my eleventh surgery but you never get used to it! Take Care everyone!

• Hi Ruth, Thanks for your reply, I'm beginning to wonder if there is a regular anything when it comes to hospitals these days. So very few things seem to go smoothly!

I'm sorry to hear you've had to stop the drug and hope your BP etc settle down. Do you normally have high blood pressure? Mine is controlled by meds. I do hope you enjoy a drug free Christmas and manage to return to treatment after the festive season!

Yes, I felt so sorry for the people who were still in the waiting room, they had been there for almost 7 hours already and still didn't know what was happening and we're still fasting but were given small sips of water! I actually felt quite guilty when I realised they were still there, but also relieved that mine was over!

Do you have plans for Christmas to look forward to? I hope so!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Thanks Lass, Yes me too! Also everything crossed for results too! What's your latest news on how things are going?

Love Annette x

• My latest is from Monday.... 

Vitamin D has dropped to 40, lowest should be 75 but ideally should be over 100. It's never been over 100 since my radiation broke it.

Liver enzymes are up, so fatty liver isn't happy.

Cancer markers are up again, but not up to where they'll take action yet.

Thyroxine doesn't seem to be working as it should at the moment.

There's degradation in my spine, but in a different area to the one that's complaining the most when at rest. Seems it's arthritis starting. 

And I'm showing as now being pre-diabetic.

But on the plus side, I've brought my cholesterol down from 6.3 to 5.7, and I've lost 10lbs in the last 4 weeks. 10 stone more and I hit my BMI..... Lol

Lass

Xx

I have no medical training, everything I post is an opinion or educated guess. It is not medical advice.

• Christmas will be different without my Mum .

it will be quiet with the 4 of us this year our 2 grown up children like to come and have Christmas with us.  We play board games and eat and drink and stay home.

Im sure you will have a good time with your family 

love Ruth 

Ruth 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to ruthjp

Well I was thinking of you yesterday with your early start to the super hospital, which sounds less super by the day.  But what a relief they got you in and out so quickly.  My surgeon said to me “hospital is no place to recover” and tea and toast in your own bed sounds just perfect!

i hope you are starting to feel better and biopsy gives only good news, then you can get on with all your Xmas activities,

love heather xxxx

• Hi Annette

I'm so pleased that Wednesday went swimmingly for you. I have everything crossed for you for the biopsy results. 

Take care Annette

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • Hi Lass, well quite a mixed bag for you then! My oncologist tested my vitamin D level within a year of dx and I have taken it once a day since then, I did have a fatty liver early on but it changed to cirrhosis of the liver after over three years on drug! As you know, I had to have a spinal op in March and drug had accelerated my arthritis! I now go to Liver and spinal clinics built into the mix. However I've not had thyroid, diabetes or cholesterol problems.

We seem to be on a parallel route but you have slightly different problems. Question is what are they doing about it? That's fantastic loosing 10lbs, what did you do?

Love Annette x

• Hi Ruth, Yes of course you will miss your mum dearly, especially at Christmas but you were so very lucky to have her in your life for such a long time! My mum died when I was 19 and my dad just six years later. That's great your adult children still like to have Christmas with you, ours do too but now with their families and the board games played in pairs are a must!

Love Annette x

• Thanks Heather   You are correct about the SuperHospital, imagine it was purpose built only a few years ago and they don't have enough beds! This is because there are no traditional Wards to speak of, it's all individual rooms! Yes my surgeon said that also and how right they are! Hospitals are too noisy to get a proper sleep! Tea & toast in my own bed was sheer nectar!

Heather & Tvman, thank you so much for thinking about me and sending your good wishes for my biopsy results! I'll have everything crossed now until I get them!

Love Annette x

• Hi Annette

Just over a year ago you may remember I had a small stroke and I was in the new part of the Ulster Hospital which has single rooms. I missed the company of other fellow ill people, even though some of them may be a pain. 

It's good to chat in a group, 4 or 5 people adding their tuppence's worth. I never slept much in the new ward because in the next room there was a psychotic woman who screamed and yelled quite a lot. I was glad to get home for peace and quiet. 

Tvman xx

Love life and family.