YOU NEVER KNOW THE MINUTE!!!

• 149 replies
  • 44 subscribers

Hi Gang, Well the day before we went to Salou for a fortnight, I had my six month check after my spinal decompression op. They took an X-ray and the surgeon admired his metal handiwork which is now holding my spine together. He was very pleased and told me there would be no need to make a further appointment but I could phone his secretary if I started having problems. So off we went on holiday!  

When we got back, there was a letter from him asking me to contact his secretary to make an appointment as he now had the written report for the X-ray. I phoned and was told I'd need a CT scan which they had already booked for me as well as a further aptm for his clinic to discuss the results. The latter was last Monday 28th! On the X-ray & scan there was a shadow just at the bottom of my right shoulder blade. The consultant examined my back and felt a lump. He explained that he was going to take a biopsy to be sent away but after the scan, he said it was too deep to do it with a local anaesthetic so suggested surgery to remove it with a GA then they will send it for biopsy.

Next he said he had arranged to do the pre-op assessment there and then, which came as a bit of a shock as you can imagine!   However, that's it done and now it's just a case of waiting for a date to get it removed! I phoned his secretary once we got home, to tell here we had booked to go to Manchester from 5-10 Dec inclusive to see the Christmas Markets etc but I also said I didn't expect to get word as quick as that but was just letting her know anyway! We all know urgent can mean 6-12 weeks with the NHS, so I won't hold my breath!

So there you have it! I've had a few other lumps etc removed in the six years since stage4 dx but this is the first they can't do at the clinic with a local anaesthetic! Up until Monday we hadn't said anything about it to our son and daughter and to see "that look" again on their faces was heartbreaking! I'm trying to be upbeat about it, smiling and saying it could be nothing of course! Any prayers, I would be grateful for, they certainly can't hurt! This will be my eleventh surgery but you never get used to it! Take Care everyone!

• Hi Annette,

I'm so sorry that your break was nothing like you planned and now a chest infection to top it all off.  I do agree with the others though, that is a GP going above and beyond and someone who genuinely cares about what is best for his patients.

Take care, snuggle up in your own bed. keep taking the tablets and get plenty of rest.  I'm sure you will be back on your feet and spending time with the children in no time.

Love and hugs,

Gragon xx

• Sorry you will miss the nativity but hopefully should be better for Christmas.

chest infections are nasty and the pain in the pleura. Hope you are feeling better soon 

love Ruth xxx

inwent to the optician and my double vision is twice as bad my eye is turned inwards . They have ordered me the maximum strength prism for my glasses and say I need an operation in the muscle.

i will have to discuss again with the oncologist. I was right to stop driving and surrender my licence 

Ruth 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to ruthjp

Hi

Eek! Well done for doing the right thing with your licence. I’d be lost without the ability to drive 

xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi popgate,Sorry to hear your blip at the moment.

I had my last chemo the end of September some good results but I’m incurable so then I started to panic what next.Its that dread of nothing else.Then I was offered immunotherapy which I stared Oct.i was fine then bang something reacted in the liver weather infection or treatment don’t know.

i stayed in hospital a couple of times but of a shock because up to now I have been doing good.

My fear was that i would be taken off but no it’s all good going to try second round,Fingers crossed but it’s such a roller coaster of emotions so your not alone I know it helps me when I read all your journeys

and pray good news for you. Take care x 

• hi there thanks for getting back to me it means a lot yes I am in limbo at the minute worried sick what they are going to do with me now if anything and to add to it I had a scan on Sun seeing my consultant next Thursday so will get results from scan and what happens next my last scan was good as all the cancers had shrunk which I didn't prepare for at all but this one is really worrying me as they have stopped my weekly chemo and I feel helpless with nothing to fight the cancers with i will keep fighting on as usual as we all do take care yourself xx

Flippen
  • Hi Everyone and thanks to those who replied. Most who did referred to my GP. Gragon said "over and above" he certainly does. Now to be honest, I knew him while he was still at Uni, we were in the same badminton team. Then within a couple years he joined 'my' surgery as the junior doctor. He is now the senior doctor/shareholder there. When Vince phoned that morning, he was put in touch with the Practice Manager who said they would probably go home early due to the awful weather. My husband said please let Dr W know what's happening and I will phone him from the train. Well you know the rest apart from when the doc asked the PM why she hadn't phoned him through at the time, her reply was "there can't be too much wrong if she's been in Manchester for five days"!! He told me about the lecture (1st warning) he gave her as its not her job to speculate! I did get an apology from her as she unlocked the door when we got there! Anyway feeling very bad, cough is awful and the pain that comes with it! That's half the antibiotics finished, so I'm looking for a great improvement in the next few days! Thanks again, it just seems like one thing after another at the moment but I know it does get like that and you've just to ride it out!

Thought I'd do this, while waiting for my husband to get back from the Nativity and give me a blow by blow description. I think the school may have a video but I don't think the Nursery do them!

I'm really tired now so will hopefully get a sleep after "the de-brief"!!!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Popgate, You have just described perfectly scanxiety mixed with worry! Be assured you are not alone, a lot have been there before you too. I remember my oncologist telling me she was going to reduce the drug, then a lot of years later, that I should stop it altogether and wait! I was in Limbo too but you can drive yourself mad thinking about the if's and but's! Please try to keep yourself busy until Thursday  and then when you have all the facts, talk to your oncologist about what happens now! Good luck. X

Love Annette x

• Oh Ruth, I'm so sorry to hear that! Did you need an op before going to the optician or was it because of something he did, to make your eye turn in? Yes, you knew you were right to hand in your license but as Daloni said, I too would be lost without mine (when I'm not in bed of course!!).

I take it you have to see a consultant at the Eye Hospital? Please have all your questions ready for him! Good Luck!

Love Annette x

• Yes I was booked for the pre op assessment for the squint operation but after discussing with my oncologist I decided to not have it. Now the squint is worse I will discuss it again with the oncologist when I see him on Jan 20th.

meanwhile I have an appointment with a cardiologist on 17 th. December about my blood pressure and if it can be controlled on the lenvatinib.

i have driven for 50 years and now my husband has to drive me which he enjoys. The loss of independence is sad but I do not feel happy to drive now with my vision as it is though if I wear a patch the double vision disappears.

the optician said my vision is good in each eye. I also have headaches  I hope I may have the operation on my eye in the future.

Ruth 

• Hope the antibiotics make you better soon 

Ruth