YOU NEVER KNOW THE MINUTE!!!

• 149 replies
  • 44 subscribers

Hi Gang, Well the day before we went to Salou for a fortnight, I had my six month check after my spinal decompression op. They took an X-ray and the surgeon admired his metal handiwork which is now holding my spine together. He was very pleased and told me there would be no need to make a further appointment but I could phone his secretary if I started having problems. So off we went on holiday!  

When we got back, there was a letter from him asking me to contact his secretary to make an appointment as he now had the written report for the X-ray. I phoned and was told I'd need a CT scan which they had already booked for me as well as a further aptm for his clinic to discuss the results. The latter was last Monday 28th! On the X-ray & scan there was a shadow just at the bottom of my right shoulder blade. The consultant examined my back and felt a lump. He explained that he was going to take a biopsy to be sent away but after the scan, he said it was too deep to do it with a local anaesthetic so suggested surgery to remove it with a GA then they will send it for biopsy.

Next he said he had arranged to do the pre-op assessment there and then, which came as a bit of a shock as you can imagine!   However, that's it done and now it's just a case of waiting for a date to get it removed! I phoned his secretary once we got home, to tell here we had booked to go to Manchester from 5-10 Dec inclusive to see the Christmas Markets etc but I also said I didn't expect to get word as quick as that but was just letting her know anyway! We all know urgent can mean 6-12 weeks with the NHS, so I won't hold my breath!

So there you have it! I've had a few other lumps etc removed in the six years since stage4 dx but this is the first they can't do at the clinic with a local anaesthetic! Up until Monday we hadn't said anything about it to our son and daughter and to see "that look" again on their faces was heartbreaking! I'm trying to be upbeat about it, smiling and saying it could be nothing of course! Any prayers, I would be grateful for, they certainly can't hurt! This will be my eleventh surgery but you never get used to it! Take Care everyone!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Popgate

Hi Flippen

glad to hear hat  are eating that support from your good friend. Please look after ourself and have to eat what makes you Smiley Please take care xx 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to tvman

Dear Tvman

I’m really sorry to hear you’ve now developed neutropenia. The neutrophils are the problem with my MDS but I’ve been having bi-weekly filgrastim (GCSF) injections for the past couple of years, which have kept my neutrophils stable if slightly low. I hope they can get things stabilised for you. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi

It is so disheartening when your chemo gets delayed. The most important thing is you stay safe through this. I hope your bloods pick up soon. 

I am having lots of fun this morning at my niece’s house watching encounters between her two kittens and my puppy. My puppy Noodle is used to older cats who either run away or swipe her nose. She’s not used to playful kittens who chase her and try to bat her tail. It’s very funny. 

I hope you have something nice to look forward to this weekend 

xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Annette, I am so sorry you are having to go through this yet again, you will be able to give the operating team instructions you have been through so much! I will send you prayers as mentioned, not something I was used to in the past but having cancer has changed a lot of things in my life, I have since experienced the power of prayer and hope it helps you through. Enjoy the nativity play, they always make me cry! but I love seeing the children, in their tea towels as our friend said.

Lots of love, big hugs and prayers from pat xxx 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to tvman

Dear TVman,

Probably was best that you stayed away fro ICU, lots of resistant bugs there that you could catch -that was your subconscious working when you 'forgot'. Neutropenic is not a good thing during the holidays and flu season.

After my treatment when I am low (e.g. not existent Zip, Nada) on both B-cells and T cells I stay away from ICU and other sources of infection (like young children). Also carry antibacterial wipes for chairs in waiting rooms and on airplanes. I wipe any surface I touch.  Also wash my hands often. Especially during holidays.  Oh yes, I do not shake hands with anyone (only air bump fists) and even put on my super mask if people around me start coughing. I suggest the same for you- After all you have that new raised garden bed  to make and those prize winning vegetables to grow.

Talking about vegetables, I need to send you the photos of my raised bed in my Hawaii garden I promised you. I'm in Florida now at a medical conference so will do so when I return to Kauai. Oh forgot to tell you guys that I am in the process of selling my Kauai home. Put it on the market on Sunday and got an offer on Tuesday and escrow opened on Friday. Wow so fast.  I am still growing papayas, bananas, coconuts, lilikoi,  chives, onions and basil in hopes that the new owner enjoys gardening (or at least eating). Still have my Mill Valley garden, so will start that one up. BTW I always work with gardening gloves on (with hospital gloves underneath) you can catch things from the soil so good to be careful.

I am sorry to to leave Kauai and the bike path, but I need to be near excellent medical care as things progress and not be 2,400 miles away from the experts. I did get to hear Dr. Simon Rule speak at the medical conference yesterday ( the UK/world  expert in MCL) - he is smart and has a wicked sense of humor and of course, he was brilliant.

Yes, I agree, you are ordered to the hospital if there is any hint of illness!

Have a wonderful holiday, if you are around those wonderful grandchildren, keep surfaces wiped down, hands washed and no kissing till those white cells come back. Please.

To all, have a lovely Christmas and Holiday Season.

Cheers,

Millie

• Well Tvman, I was so sorry to read your latest news. No wonder it slipped your mind about visiting your colleague in ICU but as Millie (MCLkid) quite rightly said, ICU is not a place you want to be! Why not send him a card, explaining why you couldn't make it and I'm sure he will understand! My oncologist, once she found out I was a keen gardener, told me always to wear a thin pair of gardening gloves with a heavier pair on top! I must admit I have become quite stringent about hand washing too. Our grandchildren come in and once they've taken their coats and shoes off, the next thing is wash their hands. We no longer have to tell them! I do hope they get things sorted out quickly for you, please just be extra careful looking after yourself from now on!

Good luck tomorrow Daloni with your results!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Hi@Popgate,  I'm sorry to hear your chemo has been interrupted temporarily but if your bloods aren't right, the chemo won't work, so better get them sorted first rather than putting yourself through chemo for nothing! I hope your team can get on top of it quickly! I wonder if dried banana pieces would work for you! Just a thought!

Hi Pat () Thank you for your good wishes and especially for the prayers, I'll take them all gladly, they certainly can't do any harm!

We are in Manchester but it hasn't gone to plan! Arrived Thursday booked into hotel, then went walkabout in the square next to the hotel. It's lovely with all the stalls, decs etc. Then we went for eats in Weatherspoons, which was great, I thought!! Even before we got back to the hotel, I knew I was going to be sick as I felt awful. The rest of the night I had sickness & diarrhoea. By breakfast time, I couldn't get my head off the pillow but Vince wouldn't leave me to go down for his. All of a sudden I started coughing and bringing up some horrible stuff. I'll leave that to your imagination! Vince wanted to go to the hospital but I said no, it was probably a 24 hour thing. However on Saturday I felt worse so he said why don't we pack up and go home but I couldn't have sat on a train with one toilet, if you know what I mean! I eventually asked him to go out to buy me some lozenges and a bottle of water as my throat felt raw and told him not to come back until he had eaten! Thankfully that worked.

This morning (Sun) when I awoke, the whole bed was soaken, I had a shower, washed my hair which took ages and we went down for breakfast. I had I dry slice toast and a drink of water! I couldn't crawl back into bed until it was changed anyway, so suggested we went out and take the wheelchair. Honestly, I couldn't have walked the length of myself! The last time I felt this bad, I had E-coli after my spinal op! My ribs feel as if I have been hugged by a big bear, especially when I cough! Tomorrow is our last day, then we go home on Tuesday. I'm determined to see the decorations in the Trafford Centre, so we will see! Not at all what was planned! Then first thing Wednesday morning we are going to the school's Nativity Play! I'm sure most of you know how I feel when you plan things, look forward to them and then.........who knows what happens!

Take Care everyone!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to anndanv

Oh anndanv, I'm so sorry.

And now the lecture. I'm with Vince, you should have gone to the hospital. It could have been a 24 hour thing, but if it wasn't you'd have been in the best place to get on top of it quickly.

I know you had a terrible experience before, and I have absolutely no right to lecture at all, but I wonder what you would have said to one of us in a similar position....

I went from an appointment at the walk in centre to an emergency admission to hospital over a matter of hours. Enough said.

I know exactly what you mean about best laid plans, good luck for the rest of your stay, your determination is just amazing. I always cry at Nativity Plays too.   xx

• Hi &

I feel humbled, by the way you both care about me. I'm really not used to that. Thank you, thank you, thank you so much. 

I shall take care of myself and I will be careful with my gardening. I texted my friend's son as soon as I could and apologised then told him what had happened. Of course he fully understood. I'm not sure that Ian, my friend, was aware that I was going to see him anyway. 

Thank you so much for your advice.

Love life and family.
  • Hi &

I feel humbled, by the way you both care about me. I'm really not used to that. Thank you, thank you, thank you so much. 

I shall take care of myself and I will be careful with my gardening. I texted my friend's son as soon as I could and apologised then told him what had happened. Of course he fully understood. I'm not sure that Ian, my friend, was aware that I was going to see him anyway. 

Thank you so much for your advice.

Tvman xx

Love life and family.