YOU NEVER KNOW THE MINUTE!!!

• 149 replies
  • 44 subscribers

Hi Gang, Well the day before we went to Salou for a fortnight, I had my six month check after my spinal decompression op. They took an X-ray and the surgeon admired his metal handiwork which is now holding my spine together. He was very pleased and told me there would be no need to make a further appointment but I could phone his secretary if I started having problems. So off we went on holiday!  

When we got back, there was a letter from him asking me to contact his secretary to make an appointment as he now had the written report for the X-ray. I phoned and was told I'd need a CT scan which they had already booked for me as well as a further aptm for his clinic to discuss the results. The latter was last Monday 28th! On the X-ray & scan there was a shadow just at the bottom of my right shoulder blade. The consultant examined my back and felt a lump. He explained that he was going to take a biopsy to be sent away but after the scan, he said it was too deep to do it with a local anaesthetic so suggested surgery to remove it with a GA then they will send it for biopsy.

Next he said he had arranged to do the pre-op assessment there and then, which came as a bit of a shock as you can imagine!   However, that's it done and now it's just a case of waiting for a date to get it removed! I phoned his secretary once we got home, to tell here we had booked to go to Manchester from 5-10 Dec inclusive to see the Christmas Markets etc but I also said I didn't expect to get word as quick as that but was just letting her know anyway! We all know urgent can mean 6-12 weeks with the NHS, so I won't hold my breath!

So there you have it! I've had a few other lumps etc removed in the six years since stage4 dx but this is the first they can't do at the clinic with a local anaesthetic! Up until Monday we hadn't said anything about it to our son and daughter and to see "that look" again on their faces was heartbreaking! I'm trying to be upbeat about it, smiling and saying it could be nothing of course! Any prayers, I would be grateful for, they certainly can't hurt! This will be my eleventh surgery but you never get used to it! Take Care everyone!

• Thanks and . Good luck for Monday Daloni.

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to tvman

Hi

Boo! Sorry your blood is so thin and weedy. That’s not what you want, especially as Christmas approaches with its many germ spreading, I mean social, activities. 

Love and hugs old chum 

xx

• FormerMember

Dear TVman.  and Daloni,

Wishing you the best results on your scans !

I'll be thinking about you two.  Things here are  uneventful, no scans until January. 

Pre=Christmas is a good time of year a lot of Cheer in the air. 

Hugs to you both,

Millie

• FormerMember

Dear I’m sorry to hear you are neutropenic, I have been in that situation a few times, so you take good care of yourself and wrap up warm and don’t hesitate to go to the hospital if you feel unwell, and that’s an order ! ! 

• so sorry to hear your news tv man keep fighting on I am also in a state as my chemo has had to be stopped as my bloods are too low and that's having chemo every week in the lowest dose got the dreaded screaming scan routine tomorrow as well and not due to see consultant till the 19th Dec so I feel everything is in the air so worried how and what if anything they are going to treat me with i don't want to hear the conversation they can't do anything now the annoying thing is as well I feel ok at minute I will just have to keep fighting on the best way I can and I know you will too always my support

Flippen
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Popgate

Dear  sorry to hear your chemotherapy has been disrupted by your bloods being low, I know this can cause a lot of anxiety as it’s happened to me a few times. Try not to worry to much, the doctors are often just being over cautious and it doesn’t necessarily mean anything serious. Also you have got your review coming up and we all know the tricks that plays with the mind. Take good care of yourself .

• thank you for your comments they mean a lot to me i always think the worst as the news I usually have is bad news I think the scan doesn't help either can't deal with needles etc I wish they could use my picc tomorrow I always think when I miss chemo the cancer has a massive advantage and is having a picnic in me thinking oh we haven't been here before let's have a picnic here I know it sounds daft but that's how I feel a gladiator without a sword to fight with sorry for one of my waffle moments take care yourself as well 

Flippen
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Popgate

Morning

I'm sorry you're feeling so much in limbo at the moment, that's when our worst fears seem to come to the surface and it's exhausting. Remember chemo isn't your only weapon against cancer. Keep taking very good care of yourself, good nutrition, plenty of rest, some gentle exercise and do something you enjoy that also occupies your mind. Easy to say I know, but sometimes it all just gets too much.

I've had treatment breaks too, my Consultant says one of the advantages of the less aggressive chemo is that there's wriggle room, and it IS possible to have a break and let your body recover a bit. That's not possible when you're being hammered by the aggressive stuff.

I'm glad to hear you're feeling well at the moment, long may it last xx

• FormerMember

Morning  

So sorry to hear this, but very glad you know about it and can take extra good care of yourself. You must feel very vulnerable, I certainly did when I first came out of hospital, and I hope it won't cast too much of a shadow on the festive season. Big hugs xx

• hi there thanks for getting back to me it means a lot my best friend says that as well a break from chemo is a good thing in one way as usual she always looks at any positive outcome of a bad situation she is amazing with me as I have mentioned so many times in my posts they are always on about the potassium levels in me and to eat bananas but I can't as luck would have it I am intolerant to them terrible stomach craps etc so the last thing I want on top of all my other symptoms is to knowingly give my self some more side effects and I am a fussy eater as well hey ho I will just keep going as best I can thanks for your supportxxx

Flippen