YOU NEVER KNOW THE MINUTE!!!

• 149 replies
  • 44 subscribers

Hi Gang, Well the day before we went to Salou for a fortnight, I had my six month check after my spinal decompression op. They took an X-ray and the surgeon admired his metal handiwork which is now holding my spine together. He was very pleased and told me there would be no need to make a further appointment but I could phone his secretary if I started having problems. So off we went on holiday!  

When we got back, there was a letter from him asking me to contact his secretary to make an appointment as he now had the written report for the X-ray. I phoned and was told I'd need a CT scan which they had already booked for me as well as a further aptm for his clinic to discuss the results. The latter was last Monday 28th! On the X-ray & scan there was a shadow just at the bottom of my right shoulder blade. The consultant examined my back and felt a lump. He explained that he was going to take a biopsy to be sent away but after the scan, he said it was too deep to do it with a local anaesthetic so suggested surgery to remove it with a GA then they will send it for biopsy.

Next he said he had arranged to do the pre-op assessment there and then, which came as a bit of a shock as you can imagine!   However, that's it done and now it's just a case of waiting for a date to get it removed! I phoned his secretary once we got home, to tell here we had booked to go to Manchester from 5-10 Dec inclusive to see the Christmas Markets etc but I also said I didn't expect to get word as quick as that but was just letting her know anyway! We all know urgent can mean 6-12 weeks with the NHS, so I won't hold my breath!

So there you have it! I've had a few other lumps etc removed in the six years since stage4 dx but this is the first they can't do at the clinic with a local anaesthetic! Up until Monday we hadn't said anything about it to our son and daughter and to see "that look" again on their faces was heartbreaking! I'm trying to be upbeat about it, smiling and saying it could be nothing of course! Any prayers, I would be grateful for, they certainly can't hurt! This will be my eleventh surgery but you never get used to it! Take Care everyone!

• Hi ,

Happy Birthday and I hope you have a lovely time both today at the market on Saturday.

love and hugs,

Gragon xx

• Meant to say a meal not Maria it’s the computer changes the words !

Ruth 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to ruthjp

Happy, happy birthday Ruth,

hope you have a lovely evening. Enjoy the treatment break too, I hope you'll have a few more birthdays to look forward to xx

• Thank you everyone for your good birthday wishes xxx

Ruth 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to ruthjp

Happy birthday ! I hope you are being spoiled today. I’m not sure rightly what a Marla might be but I hope it’s fun 

lots of love 

xxx

• Had me foxed too , predictive text has a lot to answer for lol.

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • Well, it's my turn to get results. I'm at the cancer unit now, so far I've been weighed and the nurse has said that my white and red cells are low. Just waiting to see the doctor to find out if I've to stay with the weekly injection or change tack. Shouldn't be too long before I see him or her. 

Really busy here today especially in the car park. Nurses have been on strike for 3 days this week for the first time ever in Northern Ireland. 

I'm going to see a former work colleague in ICU after this, he's been in 4 or 5 weeks after collapsing somewhere. He passed his official retirement date in hospital, if he hadn't taken ill he would have been retired now. He hasn't had any other visitors apart from the family since he came in. The nurse has agreed to me going in if the family say it's fine, he'll get a big surprise when he sees me. We did the same job for nearly 40 years, just the last 12 with the same company although we knew of each other. Great respect both ways.

Have to see the doctor soon. I've been here over an hour, almost an hour and a half.

Tvman x

Love life and family.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to tvman

I’m sending you all best wishes
    It will be my turn on Monday to get scan results  I had a call today asking me to come in ahead of the scheduled immunotherapy date on 18th. I’m trying not to read anything into it 

xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

and sending you many many positive vibes for good pre-Christmas news.  Let us all know how you both get on, as I am sure you both have many folk on here wishing you well.

I hope you don’t get too affected by the strikes, I saw all about it on the news and thought of you, so I hope you escape to see your friend soon xxx

• Hi all

I didn't get good news at all, I'm neutropenic now so I have been given an emergency pack with a phone number to ring if I get any cold, flu or indeed any illness. My haemaglobin level has dropped too. I've to go back in 4 weeks. This is the first time in a couple of years that I have been concerned because the team at the hospital seemed concerned. 

The nurses strike isn't affecting cancer services or other serious illness areas. I didn't get to see my friend because I forgot to go round to ICU due to the change in my circumstances. 

Tvman

Love life and family.