Busy couple of weeks coming up

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 249 replies
  • 46 subscribers

hi folks 

today I saw the urologist. The oncologists at the trials unit at UCLH are concerned about my kidney function and reckon the stent in my ureter is blocked. With the amount of pain I’m in, it wouldn’t surprise me. So they referred me to urology. But that’s at the local hospital. 

Today I saw the consultant urologist at my local hospital in Maidstone and he agreed. But he’s not sure the kidney is working at all so his plan is a test involving an injection of a radioactive isotope which they then track through the kidneys. If the kidney is working, he’ll replace the stent. That’s a day case procedure but involves a general anaesthetic. 

All that needs to take place before October 16 when I am due to start an immunotherapy trial. I also have to fit in a CT scan, a fancy blood test that requires a team from Cancer Research labs to come out with special kit and a biopsy. 

So it looks like I’ll either be waiting for hospital appointments or in hospital for much of the next fortnight. 

Bother. 

• Hi ,

It's lovely to hear that you are home with no adverse reactions this time but the rest of your news is not so encouraging.

I know that you (and your family) know how to look after yourself but I'd like to give you a big virtual hug before bedtime and if I've missed you already then you can have your hug at breakfast time.

love and a big hug,

Gragon xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Over the last 18 months I have posted about being NED post diagnosis with anal cancer December 2013 and how grateful I am to still be here.  Having read your post tonight, I feel very humbled and guilty on gloating about my happy outcome!  Your bravery and stoicism leaves me in the shadows!  You can teach me and others a lot, I thought I was brave - I was and lucky!  But I didn't think too much about others who weren't so fortunate!  Accept my apologies for being so complacent about my lucky outcome and please accept all my heartfelt wishes for the best future outcome that you can wish for.  You and your cheery outlook are an inspiration to all!  Apologies for gloating about my happy NED after 5 years. In my thoughts.  Mxx

• FormerMember

A hug from me too sleep tight. X

• FormerMember

Happylady, have only read this post and not your others, but please, please don't feel bad about your good news. You give us all hope, and have nothing to apologise for. I'm delighted for you, and am grateful for hearing that you're still here. Yay you! Thank you, really needed to hear this tonight xx

• FormerMember

Dear happy lady, please don’t feel bad about your treatment being a success, I for one find comfort from knowing others have been lucky enough find a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. For the rest of us life can still be good and well worth living to it’s fullest despite the restrictions placed on us. I try to find joy in every day and people like daloni are indeed inspirational and a lesson in the power of empathy and compassion. So go ahead and feel guilt free about your blessings as otherwise everything you’ve been through during treatment will be wasted. 

best wishes

jane

• Oh Daloni, Yet another long day to cope with! I was so pleased to read they managed to give you the piriton before your treatment and at least that went without a hitch! Thank heavens for small mercies! Regarding the blood thinners, I hope it won't be too long before you can move onto the tablets! I remember when I had to give myself the blood thinning injections I was black and blue and latterly was struggling to find a white piece of skin on my stomach but as long as it works, the bruising fades! It seems as if they are getting on top of it, so hopefully things will settle down and improve for you very soon! Take Care 

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Sorry Daloni, I seem to be doing this back to front but I've just replied to the post you wrote in the evening and then found the one you wrote at 3.30am ish! I can really empathise with the trouble you are having with pain and having to stop and rest! I too have been there, done that and worn the tea shirt! Depending on how much pain I'm in, I use one of the following, 2 elbow crutches, a walker with a seat, a manual wheelchair or an electric buggy! It does get very difficult to accept but I'm hoping that for you this is only a temporary situation and things will settle for you! The hospital or hospice will let you borrow the equipment you need at the moment, so you don't have to buy anything! I started off borrowing but eventually bought lightweight replacements when I realised I needed them. Needs must as they say! I'm so glad you have managed to get everything in place for Noodle and your daughter as I'm sure that must take away a lot of the worry!

HAPPYLADY Please never apologise for telling this group good news! We need to hear as many positive things we can under the circumstances! I do hope you stay lucky for a very long time to come!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to anndanv

Hi

Gosh. What can I say? No. I won’t accept your apology because you really truly have nothing to apologise for. We cannot live our lives in a state of guilt because someone is worse off than we are. There’s billions of people worse off than me. I go to bed every night in a warm and comfortable bed and with a belly as full of as much food as I want. I have access to pain killers and medical care. I have friends and family who love me, and I love them. Truly I am blessed in so many ways. 

What we can do is understand that all humans suffer and to remember that as we go into the world. We can treat people with kindness, including ourselves. 

I’d much rather you did a Julie Andrews as Maria impersonation and run through an Alpine meadow with arms stretched wide at the wonder and joy of life, singing The Hills Are Alive. Maybe not literally, maybe just in your mind’s eye. But seriously, live, love, laugh and celebrate your good fortune. And have a big hug from me. 

xxx 

• FormerMember

PS . I forgot to say - you must keep posting about being NED after six years. It’s people like you who give those who are newly diagnosed that vital thing that gets them through the first few horrific weeks. Hope. Never underestimate how important that is. I remember the day I first came to this community. I’d had a late stage, high grade diagnosis and one of the first people to reply was a woman with a similar diagnosis who was three years down the line and NED. It was as if I’d been sitting in the dark and she turned the light on. That’s what you do for others now. It’s not gloating. It’s giving people a light to see by. 

xx

• FormerMember

And to the rest of you, my dear and lovely friends, thank you for your words of comfort and encouragement. I am oddly untroubled by the prospect of a fatal pulmonary embolism. I mean, I’m not looking for one and I hope it doesn’t happen but in some ways it would save a lot of trouble. I think I need to have a chat with my GP about an advance directive. I’d rather avoid the heroics. 

xx