Busy couple of weeks coming up

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 249 replies
  • 46 subscribers

hi folks 

today I saw the urologist. The oncologists at the trials unit at UCLH are concerned about my kidney function and reckon the stent in my ureter is blocked. With the amount of pain I’m in, it wouldn’t surprise me. So they referred me to urology. But that’s at the local hospital. 

Today I saw the consultant urologist at my local hospital in Maidstone and he agreed. But he’s not sure the kidney is working at all so his plan is a test involving an injection of a radioactive isotope which they then track through the kidneys. If the kidney is working, he’ll replace the stent. That’s a day case procedure but involves a general anaesthetic. 

All that needs to take place before October 16 when I am due to start an immunotherapy trial. I also have to fit in a CT scan, a fancy blood test that requires a team from Cancer Research labs to come out with special kit and a biopsy. 

So it looks like I’ll either be waiting for hospital appointments or in hospital for much of the next fortnight. 

Bother. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Good luck today Daloni I do hope no extra problems 4 u today

Kym xxx

• FormerMember

Hi Daloni

i am sorry to read about all of your challenges and the pain you have been suffering from. I just wanted to say I hope things get better. You were so kind to me when I became part of the group. Take care xxx

• FormerMember

Hi Daloni,  just want to ditto the above message xxx

• FormerMember

Hi Daloni,

Can you collect samples now and get them in early? The hospitals need to corporate for your care the stent is #1 priority. Can the CRE be done anywhere? Will the surgeon accept tests from your other hospitals? There is always a solution to every question if you ask enough.

Hold in there girl, you are one of the strongest women I know just have to keep TAN (tough as nails)  

What are the reactions? do they pretreat with medications to keep reaction down?

Anyone there that can advocate with you?  You need an army now and so call it up.

Anything I can do?

Love and Hugs,

Millie

• FormerMember

I have no easy answers for you but I thought about you a lot when I was out on my walk this afternoon and looking at all the lovely colours in the trees and praying that you will get a solution for the problem you have and the restrictive processes can be lifted in your case.

ive packaged up all the beauty I saw along with some of my stoicism to send to you....it is quite wobbly and there are a lot of holes but hopefully it will shore yours up in your time of need, I send you all my love, Heather xxxx

• FormerMember

Thank you again my friends for all your kind words abs thoughts. I love your stoicism and autumn colours package, . 

I am just home from the hospital - no adverse reaction! My doc asked CRUK if they would allow her to give IV piriton before the infusion and this seems to have done the trick. Hurray! With a fair wind behind me I might have the same next week and then I might be able to have the surgery. 

I am now on blood thinning heparin. My oncologist had a discussion with a haematologist about the tumour/blood clot around the blood vessel in my torso and kidney. She says it’s most likely a cancer surrounded by blood clot and there’s a risk a lump could come adrift and cause a pulmonary embolism. That could be fatal. The heparin will reduce that risk. I’m on injections for now - I will have to do that myself. But there’s a chance I’ll get on to tablets after the trial. 

It’s been a long day. 

xxx

• Hi Daloni

You have had a seriously long day, full of trials and tribulations. It looks like you've been handed a lifeline, but in the next breath there's a risk of a pulmonary embolism, however the heparin should help to avoid that.

My goodness, what's going to happen next? You couldn't make it up. Now you need as much r and r as you can get.

Hope you get more than the customary 4 hrs tonight. If you don't, I'm sure I'll be around to support you.

Have a good night, Daloni, sleep tight.

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • FormerMember

Dear daloni, it’s good,to hear you’ve made it home relatively unscathed. It’s time to put your feet up, eat some proper food and watch some rubbish tv, which is what I like to do after a long day. Hopefully you will sleep well tonight after a tiring day and have restful day tomorrow to recover.

best wishes 

Jane 

• FormerMember

Dear Daloni,

Wow!!  Keep up the work toward health. We are all with you my friend.

Make sure to tell your surgeon about your dose of heparin -he may want to take you off of it before surgery.

HUGs

Millie

• FormerMember

Daloni I've been carrying you close to my heart and wish there was something, anything I could say to help.

You're having such a gruelling time and it's relentless. The pirirton helped, phew, but then you're straight on to the life threatening risk of complications of a blood clot. We get used to good news/bad news, but not on this scale.

So glad you're home. I hope the way forward will be smoother from now on, and a solution will be found so that your surgery can go ahead as planned. 

Those still waters clearly run very, very deep. I hope you at least get a good rest tonight. Lots of love  xx