Mum stranded in Italy with stage 4 cancer

• 1 reply
  • 3 subscribers

Hello to anyone reading,

My Mum and Dad moved to Italy around 5 years ago. Last year just before the pandemic really hit my mum was diagnosed with stage 4 metastatic lung cancer which had spread to the brain. My parents soon put their house on the market to come home to be with their friends and family, but the house has just not sold. Until it sells, they cannot afford to rent or buy somewhere back in England. They are very limited for family to stay with here as unfortunately I live in a 1 bed property and there’s no where else particularly suitable for them to live. 
When my mum was well, she did everything. My dad doesn’t speak much Italian so my mum dealt with all matters like bills, prescriptions, appointments, house matters etc but now she is unable to. My dad is in his mid 70’s and is really struggling to care for her on his own, do all the house and garden work, shopping, cooking, taking her to appointments, and now mum is not working they are struggling financially. They are completely stuck out there and my mum has become so unwell and it’s agony not being able to physically be with them to support them. 
I can’t even put in to words how stressed it’s making me and how much it’s effecting my family. I fear that even if they find a buyer sometime in the near future it’s going to be too late. My mum needs to come home now. 
if anyone reading this has any ideas please let me know. I play the lottery praying that I would win some money, even enough to be able to rent somewhere for them for a year in the UK so my mum can have her last months with her friends and family in a comfortable space with her belongings. I’m at my wits end, any help or support much appreciated. 

• Hi and welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to read that your mum has been diagnosed with lung cancer that has spread to her brain and it must be an incredibly stressful time for you.

It might be an idea to give the Macmillan Support Line a call on 0808 808 0000 and speak to them to see if they can recommend who to contact to see if it's possible to arrange housing for your mum and dad in the UK before they've sold their property in Italy. It's free to call and they are available every day of the week between 8am and 8pm. 

Let me know how you get on

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"