Travel Insurance

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 18 replies
  • 27 subscribers

Can anyone help point me in the direction for a good travel insurance company that won't rip my off with ridiculous premiums??

Hoping to go to New York with my best friend next spring but need to get this sorted as i certainly can't cover the medical fees myself!! Most people i called said they won't cover anything related to my cancer nor the fact I now have no spleen so that rules out most things i'm likely to get hospitalised for! 

Just trying to move on and do some things i've always wanted too but yet another hurdle!! 

Thanks

J

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Julie, 

I have found this issue a pain in the butt to, if you are with the halifax with any account, just call them and your covered anyway your best bet is to ring them and ensure you are covered when you are away, dont even mention the big C at this stage unless they ask you, or any bank you are with just ask them as not a lot of them advice you are already insured, the other alternative is the post office, when I went to bulgaria their quotes were a lot less greedy than the rest of them. again dont mention any illness unless they ask you, my gp also advised me that should go extra careful than you normally would then there should not be a problem, for example sandals, stick to trainers, 

hope this helps and good luck, its a money orientated world out there now 

Take care

Mark 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Macmillan have a list of insurance companies here http://www.macmillan.org.uk/Cancerinformation/Livingwithandaftercancer/Practicalissues/Travel/Companies.aspx  I got a decent quote from Insurance With, but ring around and see who's most reasonable.  Travel to the US can be expensive (due to the medical bills).

Insurance included with bank accounts can also be worth a try.  I would declare pre-existing conditions - otherwise you risk the company refusing cover if you need to claim.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember
    Hi Julie, I went to USA last month and Europe last year. Having been diagnosed with Cancer too I found that the best, and cheapest legitimate way to do it was,... Stay sure insurance, recommended by Macmillan, covered me for everything EXCLUDING cancer. This meant it kept premiums down but I declared it so there wouldnt be a problem if I had Lost luggage or broken an ankle etc. as I am stable with my illness I thought this was a good bet and I had no problems. Premiums were only slightly more than normal pre illness but we will never get it cheap again I am afraid. Hope this helps. Tim. Have a fab trip. Xxx
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Julie

I bank with First Direct but the travel insurance I get with my account excluded cancer. I went to the US and used Insure With too it covered cancer but with a £500.00 excess if a claim was cancer related, which is nothing compared with USA medical bills! While I normally would have rung around I hate going over all the things that have happened in the last 18 months so only rang Insure With. They asked sensible questions and the girl I spoke to seemed to know what she was talking about, although I didn't have to claim so I can't comment on that side of things.

Who ever you go with you should tell them about your cancer, insurance companies will find any excuse not to pay out even if your claim is not related to the cancer.

Enjoy New York, that's on my 'to do' list too.

Linda xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Julie, as well as our list of travel insurance companies, which ground has helpfully linked to above, you might also find it useful to read my blog post about similar lists from other organisations. Some of these organisations list different companies to us, so it might just increase your options. I really hope you find the cover you are looking for.

Best wishes, Graham

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I went on holiday to the Canaries, tried the free insurance with my bank account but as soon as you declare an issue, it is immediately not covered, there seemed to be a definiate leaning to not declaring it and hope for the best (Nationwide).

I used International Travel and Healthcare on 08452572587.  Came in with a reasonable price and were very helpful give them a shout.  Came in at under £100 for a week and I had been quoted a lot more than that elsewhere. As will be said get the fit to travel letter from your doc who should declare any issues you have, be honest if it goes wrong like all insurance companies they will decline payment. I had a brain tumour removed eighteen months prior to this holiday.

Just re- read your post and seen that you wish to travel to the US, medical care there is very expensive and will put you in the top bracket, be prepared for a sharp intake of breath.

Good luck,

Neil

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thanks everyone. I got a reasonable quote from insure with in the end. Put a £500 excess on for anything relating to my cancer but the cover overall is good.

I bank with Barclays and did talk to them as I get free travel insurance but they would only cover me for anything not related and said that if I was hospitalised for an infection of any kind (highly possible now i don't have my spleen!) that they would class that as related so that was a no go!!!

A small word of warning, after talking to our business insurance brokers I've discovered that our business travel insurance won't cover me for anything relating to my treatment either even though it has no requirement to declare medical status!!!

Got my 6 monthly scan next week and decided to hold off booking until after i get the results, if it's all clear the cost of the ins may go down...it's a risk but i'm trying to be positive.

J xx 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Can I pop in and ask a travel insurance question?  I have block yearly insurance with a credit card, do I have to inform them of my diagnosis or not?

thanks

Chris

• Hi Chris, short answer is yes

we all know this is a roller coaster ride, where we ride blind, never knowing where the highs and lows are
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to johnr

Hi my hubby is receiving palliative care with around 3 months left.  Has anyone managed to get travel insurance under these circumstances.  We want to try and take the kids to Disneyland over Christmas, one last special holiday together.  Thanks for reading.