Not worthy

• 5 replies
  • 27 subscribers

I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer Stage 2 and have had an operation and Radiotherapy. 

I am truly blessed that I was referred and seen so quickly.

But now I've had all the treatment and I am just on tablets for the next 5 years minimum I feel like it was all a blur. 

I hear such hard stories of ladies who have to have chemotherapy and mastectomys and I don't feel like I've "suffered" like so many who have had Breast Cancer. 

• Hi  and welcome to the Online Community, although I am sorry to see you finding us.

You are definitely worthy, every one that goes on a cancer journey is worthy regardless of how the journey developed.

The post treatment part of a cancer journey can fit some, be as hard as the treatment it’s self

We have a very supportive Breast cancer group where you can meet up with other survivors as this will open up your concerns to a wider audience who know exactly what you are going through at the moment.

Just follow the link I have created then hit the ‘Join This Group’ tab just under the main group name, then go to the 'Start a Discussion' tab and set up your very own Discussion and introduce yourself to the group and ask your questions.

You may also find this great paper to be a good read as it does highlight the milestones of post treatment.

((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi

Many thanks for this, I have started to read the paper and it makes for interesting reading.

I will join the other group as I do need extra support post treatment.

Never Give Up
  • Hi Sara and yes, the paper is an interesting and challenging.

I would always challenge folks to become proactive after reading through it and use it as a vehicle for change and life improvement.

So get a note book or some sheets of paper and put pen to paper - it is a good way forward.

So a page per subject heading. Start detailing the things you have done already to move life on in each area and then start to set some achievable goals to work towards. 

When you achieve the first goal on each lists, tick it off and then put a new goal at the bottom of the list. By doing this you can actually see your progress and celebrate achievements. When I say celebrate I do mean giving yourself treats and gifts........ you have life - celebrate it.

The headings would be:

What steps am I taking to regain trusts in my body?

What steps am I taking to regain trust in myself?

What steps am I taking to overcome living with uncertainty?

What steps am I taking to deal with the world?

What steps am I taking to regain mastery and control of my life?

Try it, the future is sitting in front of you - think about driving a car. The big windscreen shows the future, the past is in the little mirrors and is getting smaller and more fuzzy as we move forward.....if you concentrate on the past you crash.

((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• I have a journal I keep and do write in it from time to time.

I do love your analagy about the car that is so good and easy to make sense of.

I think I am struggling today not being a good day as I am back at work and where I work is only small, one colleague has left as she had same as me but Stage 3 and my other work colleague's wife died of cancer two years ago.  He hardly talks to me so work is a strain and while it must be so hard for him for me it is hard to get back to "normal"

Never Give Up
  • Moving 'back' to real life.....'normal'.......or what ever it is called can be a big big challenge as it can be much harder than it should be......... Sometimes you have no idea what is going on behind the 'faces' that you see just like the folks in your office.

Watch out for the 'survivors guilt' trip.......... we have no real control over how the hand we have all been dealt with will pan out. If he does not want to talk about it then that is his way of dealing with his loss........ small (and big) things can trigger memories and he will have his way of dealing with them.

Are you in contact with the other work colleague?........ could she benefit from a text, call from you?

I would highly recommend looking for opportunity's to talk with people face to face so check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area or a Maggie’s Centre as these folks are amazing.

I often post this great picture/thought as an encouragement of how to wlk the post treatment life.

I see the cancer journey to be like a climb up a craggy Scottish Mountain. These Mountains have well trodden paths with little cairns (stones on stones) put up by the many folks who have walked these paths before us.

At each cairn the path divides in two - these are the points of decision - like..... How we deal with side effects.....? The mental and physical challenges.....!! The picking our selves up 'again' times......!! It’s scan time again....!! How can we move on...?

We do have to look very carefully at where each track will take us. Do we knuckle down and tough it out and keep climbing up or do we take the low path and keep going round the hill and not reaching the summit...... not seeing that view for the first time.

When you look at the cairns they are always just on the tracks that will lead to the top. So each stone that is put on the cairns is a "yes we can do this" decision......... keep putting the stones on the 'yes' cairns....... and every now and then have a look back down the hill and see the starting point and all the little cairns on the paths you have taken. The further you move on, the past looks very small and fuzzy at the edges.

If you keep walking the low paths you will see stones left at the side of the track where that hope and dream was lost.

Always around to listen x 

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge