Recurrence anxiety

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 15 replies
  • 28 subscribers

Hi everyone 

I feel very lucky to have been diagnosed early with stage 1A womb cancer...has it treated surgically (hysterectomy) in July and no more treatment is necessary. However I have recently had anxiety about it coming back (sorry TMI alert!) I had literally a tiny pink spot on my loo roll this morning and I went straight into panic mode. My final appointment was only a few weeks ago and the advice was to ring if worried etc...so I will ring tomorrow. It’s probably just part of healing etc but I have convinced myself that I have cancer again. I was going to go Christmas tree shopping today and decorate with my husband but instead I just cried. He managed to get me out for the afternoon but I am in panic mode. I think it’s sensible to ring my team but I don’t want to be a ‘patient’ again...I just want to move on. Sorry for the rant! Thanks for listening xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to LisaCardiff

Like you, I feel the same way as regards the cancer advertisements. So did my mum. I know that it makes people more aware but they don’t see how it’s just another reminder of our illness. It’s not just that, more and more places are displaying hospice and the main cancer organisations posters. But we can’t really grumble as they are getting people to give money, so we can attend our hospices and get what might otherwise be out of our radius for treatments. I do know our local hospice is completely Reliance on these. Unfortunately for us LisaCardiff, it puts us between a rock and a hard place.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to LisaCardiff

Hi Lisa.

I had head and neck cancer in 2013 and was treated in 2014. I was actually diagnosed on Friday 13th December 2013. 13th December this year was also on a Friday albeit 6 years on. I decided to stay in bed all day in case something happened to me !! I also have endured mouth problems caused by radiation. My gums are receding and my teeth are falling out. My jaw is so sore and I have a thick collagen build up in my neck that constantly feels like I am being strangled. Please do not think you are on on your own with these post cancer thoughts. It is with me 24/7 and it has come to a stage that I am becoming reclusive. My friends and family really do not understand and think that because I survived I am the same person. I am not !! Good luck going forward and remember we are not alone and thanks to Macmillan able to express our fears.

Best regards,

John

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

That’s just the thing. You survived! But with some of us, we end up with half of a life we had, we survived but our health has never returned to the way it was. Unfortunately they can’t see it. Unfortunately they’ve never had cancer, know what’s it like, we cannot blame them for what they could never understand unless, and I hope not. If they end up with cancer. They cannot understand when we have to live with a incurable illness and it affects us, makes life more and more a struggle. I understand the need to be an hermit. Only you can live your life and if you want to stay in bed, then hat’s the best place. Have you tried talking to one of them? Or are you shutting them out? They might be confused and I’m certain, they are very concerned too. Very often when we decide to go to bed, we shut the world out. But on the whole, it’s difficult on both sides. They on their part are wondering why are are not you. Whereas you are ill, tired and reasons only you  want to lie low and cope with your pain, which sounds terrible. I’ve never had radio. Couldn’t mentally cope with it anyway.

• Hi @lisacardiff

if the in-house counselling has a 6 month waiting list, u might well want to consider looking at " In your area" to see if there are any Macmillan or Maggie's centres local to you. ( The Highlander mentioned them in reply to someone else in this group)

Fear of the unknown is the worst thing. Once we know what we're facing, we find the strength to deal with it.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thanks for the reply Jack.