Depression

• 5 replies
  • 27 subscribers

Hi all

Can anyone explain to me why after 18 months on from bowel resection for cancer. I feel so alone and despondent i have no interest in anything going on around me. when i feel i should be euphoric having beaten this cancer. 

Annie

• Hi Annie and welcome to the Community but so sorry that you are still fighting the post treatment hurdles.

An explanation?........ If you actually reflect on what you have been through to get out the other end of the tunnel....... you find there is another tunnel waiting just round the corner. Its just not fair is it?......... but its the reality for so many people.

How to move life in a positive direction?........ I think talking with folks who have walked the walk can help a lot, so well done reaching out the Macmillan Community.

At this point in time I will always recommend checking to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area or a Maggie’s Centre as these folks are amazing. There are lots of courses that unpack the post treatment journey and can help a lot.

You can pick up the phone and use our Macmillan Support Line Services to be helpful - call them on 0808 808 00 00 This free service covers Emotional Support, Practical Information or just a friendly vice at the end of the phone........mostly open 8.00 to 8.00 but check the link.

Dealing with the reality of what you have been through and asking yourself questions about 'what can I do to move life in a better direction' can help.

Make a cup of tea/coffee and have a look though this great paper..........this paper will make you think about:

What steps am I taking to regain trusts in my body?

What steps am I taking to regain trust in myself?

What steps am I taking to overcome living with uncertainty?

What steps am I taking to deal with the world?

What steps am I taking to regain mastery and control of my life?

Always around to help out ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• THANK YOU HIGHLANDER WILL READ AND SEE

• Our unwanted journeys take us places we would to normally want to go but all we can do is roll up our sleeves and get stuck in to move life forward.

My wife and I were away for a few days over the weekend, we went down the West of Scotland to Glencoe........although we have seen it many times it is still an amazing place to see. In the visitors centre I noticed this great quote below.

What do we see when the hills come along? - are they an obstacle?..........or an opportunity to move into something better.

I was sent this great little picture below - makes you think.

Please come back and talk more once you have been through the paper ((hugs))

Glencoe

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Anne

I can totally relate to what you describe so know that you are not alone in this experience and it is common to feel this way. The online community are a fantastic support system and I can certainly recommend Maggie's. I approached them and have recieved some great support and  am currently having one to one psychological sessions after being on a wait list of just 3 weeks. I hope you are feeling better for having expressed how you are feeling.

• Hi Anne,

You’re not alone. Myself and others feel the same.

I am constantly worried and I cry to myself over any ache, pain, itch and anything like that. I also look things up on the internet, which I know I shouldn’t do. I panic most of the time. Also you mentioned being despondent, again I can’t find an interest, even reading or doing a bit of crochet, I just can’t concentrate and enjoy it. 

No one tells what life is like after cancer and it’s hard. I am so grateful and pleased I was given the all clear but I have a fear of hospitals and clinics and the thought of a MRI scan has me being sick and heading for the hills. 

A couple of people here have recommended Maggies. I visited there once but the car park was full and I couldn’t park on the road due to yellow lines. I am trying to go back there but movement and having 2 stomas (the colostomy is playing up due to scar tissue) is hard and my mum has just come home from hospital and is on oxygen. 

I find the people on here are lovely and kind and have been through something and know and understand how hard things are.

Thinking about you,

Lisa

xxxxxxxxxx