Any advise welcome

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 5 replies
  • 28 subscribers

I had cancer of the vulva and have had vin3 and multiple surgeries over the last 4 years. It’s left me feeling really insecure and I’m struggling to keep a handle on it. I was never overly confident anyway but I was a lot better than I am now. I always try to help everyone else but right now I need to reach out for some advice on how you are all coping with life after? All comments welcome xxx

• Hi , first congratulations to getting through your treatment and getting to this point.

But as you can see the post treatment challenges are real and we all deal with them differently. I would always recommend that talking one on one with folks can help a lot.

It would be worth having a look so see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area or a Maggie’s Centre as these folks are amazing. I used our local Maggies Centre and found their various courses very beneficial, especially their “where now?” course.

We often post this great paper and folks will actually come back and say that they think that the paper had been written just about them.

The fact you are outing on the Community is a good step in the right direction and please keep posting as we are around to help as best as we can,

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

Thank you so much Thehighlander I appreciate your message and will look into getting some one to one talking on the go. I just feel like I’m in a limbo and most days are fine but then other days I just feel like I’m drowning. I know it gets better and I’m looking forward to that. As the ‘strong’ one I do find it difficult to ask for help. 

• You don’t get medals for being the ‘strong’ one but you can find amazing rewards if you make positive choices and looking for someone to talk with, to look them in the eye can be a massive stepping stone in pushing this all in a positive direction.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Well said Mike

Fear of the unknown is the worst thing. Once we know what we're facing, we find the strength to deal with it.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

Hahaha that’s what I say to my friends about winning medals I guess I should take my own advise sometimes. I totally get where your coming from and I have reached out for some support. I definitely do need to see someone as I can’t seem to move past feeling like a failure and a burden. 

The positivity is something I use to pride myself on but now I just feel lost and lonely. My partner is amazing and has been through everything. Not once has she looked at me like a freak or anything xx