Cancer aftermath

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 7 replies
  • 28 subscribers

Hi lovely people.. I was diagnosed with bowel and liver cancer in June this year..had bowel resection followed by recent liver resection.. I approached my diagnosis with positivity and found myself switched off emotionally...as if it was all happening to someone else...Im now 4 weeks post op..people keep saying how amazing it is that Im now cancer free...dont feel like that...trying to get my head together and also trying to cope with this hod damn fatigue x

• Hi and welcome across to this corner of the Community.

The post treatment journey? Yes this can be as challenging as the treatment it’s self. You treatment is finished - move on......... but it tends not to be like this as there are many hurdles and milestones that have to be negotiated during this time.

We often recommend a look through this great paper, folks will actually come back and say that they think that the paper had been written just about them. But I would always challenge folks to become proactive after reading through it and using it as a vehicle for change and life improvement.

Each treatment rollercoaster brings its own challenges and fatigue can be one of these long lasting ones. I am coming up to 4 years post treatment and even now I have my ‘challenging’ days.

Talking to people face to face can help a lot so check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Supportin your area or a Maggie’s Centre as these folks are amazing.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

Hi.thanks for your reply..we do have a local Maggies which I think I will tap into

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi 

4 weeks post op is still very recent and the physical and emotional recovery can be a lengthy process. It may not feel like it now but things will gradually improve. Fatigue and exhaustion are very common and it is important to get plenty rest and sleep which can be difficult especially with post op pain. People tell me it is great I'm cancer free whilst in my head I think 'for now' 

I would definitely recommend contacting a Maggies if you have a local one. I have recently visited one and it was the best thing I have ever done.

I hope this helps

Best wishes 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thanks Cazza...want to run before I can walk...seemed to recover much quicker from bowel surgery than liver x

• I can totally recommend a visit. I have been going for a number of years. The post treatment ‘Where now’ course is very good. 

I have been going to a weekly circuits class and this has been a great help with both muscle and nerve damage as well as fatigue.

Great one on one support available - go sit at ‘The Table’ and have a coffee

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

Thanks.I was offered the circuits by Macmillan post bowel surgery but as I was having further surgery soon after they said they would contact post liver surgery..would definately want to take part in that. 

Thanks again

• Do have a good look at the paper as well.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge