Feeling lost and family life suffering

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 10 replies
  • 28 subscribers

I was diagnosed with cancer in the base of my tongue and neck  lymph nodes in December 2017 and after radiotherapy and Chemo was given the all clear in July 2019. I was very lucky not  to undergo any surgery after being told I might lose my tongue and although I had a tough time with not being able to eat for about 4 months and struggling with a nasal feeing tube I feel like I've got away very lightly compared to a lot of fellow sufferers who I met on my hospital visits.

After the initial relief of being told the treatment was successful I'm really struggling with getting back to a normal life and feel completely lost which is badly affecting my relationship of 20 years with my partner.

People say to me that I have beaten cancer and now must live life to the full, How do you do that? I've still got to work, look after my daughter and do all the humdrum things I did before. How do you make the most of the rest of your life without changing the way you were?

I'm on the verge of splitting up with my partner as I feel I want more from her emotionally but realise that my head is not in the best place to make such a monumental decision.

I don't know what to do or who to talk to as I don't want to burden friends and family with this mess as I just don't think they understand why as a survivor I'm not deliriously happy!

• Hi Barney26,

Welcome to the community. U will find many folk on here who'll understand what you're saying. Cancer changes everything- for good and bad. It leaves u with a different perspective on life which folk who have not had it don't always realise.

There's a great paper on this, which I can't link to at present. I will ask @The highlander if he will  post it for me.

In the meantime, u might consider seeing if you have a Maggie's centre or Macmilan centre nearby which offer counselling. Or  it's possibly your local day hospice does? Mine does. See "In your area" on the home page or ring the helpline on 0808 808 0000, 8am to 8pm 

Failing that, you've made the first step by getting in touch here. Do add  a bit to your profile so ppl know where you're coming from, as it were. Also saves you repeating yourself.

Fear of the unknown is the worst thing. Once we know what we're facing, we find the strength to deal with it.
  • Oops, my numbers on phone r hopeless. Meant Barney16

Fear of the unknown is the worst thing. Once we know what we're facing, we find the strength to deal with it.
  • Hi Barney,

Welcome to the forum, although I am sorry to read about how you are doing.

“Live life to the full”. I have definitely been there. It has some truth to it. You’ve been through a big scare, you probably now appreciate how short and fragile life is, and the saying is useful to get you to focus on those things that are really most important to you so that you do them before it’s too late.

However, I’ve come to realize after 4 years that actually life is quite mundane, you can’t be at “full” all the time. And there is beauty in the mundane too. The real trick I think is to understand what makes you really happy internally - it might be doing big things on a bucket list, it might just be as simple as spending time with those you love.

The period post-treatment can often be the most difficult emotionally as your brain begins to have time to process what has happened and what it means for you, so please don’t feel like you are alone in that respect.

Greg

• Hi  this is the great paper that my friend  was trying to post.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks a lot Mike!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to buttercup01

Thanks for replying, I'm taking your advice and am going to The Maggies Centre in Cardiff

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

Thanks Mike, A worthwhile read that makes a lot of sense

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to greg777

Thanks for the reply Greg, Just by posting on here I feel a bit better. 

• Ade, you will get lots of help in so many ways at a Maggie’s. Even although I am coming up to 4 years post my last treatments I still go to various groups every week. Go, get a cup of Tea/Coffee and sit at the ‘table’ as this is the place where you will meet so many folks.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Barney - I went through a similar experience a few years back. I went for some counseling through macmillan and found that it helped enormously