After lung cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 27 subscribers

Hi everyone 

Last year I was diagnosed with lung cancer.

In September I had half of my left lung removed and my lymph nodes. At the time I was 45 with an 11 year old son that doesn’t see his Father. It was such a worrying time.

Luckily it was all removed but was told it could return because they aren’t  sure what caused it. January I had a CT scan and had something showing on my right lung this time. In April I was told it was just inflammation. 

Ive struggled with the after effect more than when I had all the checks and the operation. The doctor has put me on antidepressants which have helped massively and I visited talking therapies for four weeks which wasn’t what I was looking for.

I was due to go to America this summer to visit family but don’t want to be out of the country, so we’re off to Cornwall instead.

I can’t express how extremely grateful I am to have been given a second chance and still have a life to lead with my son but why this doom and gloom feeling? 

Blush

• Hi Skin,

It's not  surprising you feel all doom n gloom, after your op, checks etc. Rather like the weekend migraines ppl get after a stressful week at work, then the relief kicks in. Also   it's as if someone's pulled the rug from under u n said " Right get back to normal now". It's simply not that easy - for one thing it's a new normal in a way.

Have u got support from family n friends to help u with your son?

It must be hard enough looking after him on your own when you're fighting fit, let alone recovering from a major op. Don't forget your body's had a massive shock n treat yourself gently. The talking therapy my not have helped but it's possible ringing the help line might? 0808 808 0000 8am to 8pm every day.

Or u may just find that " talking" to others on here helps instead.

I had kidney cancer, not lung, so it would be good if u joined the Lung cancer group so u can get in touch with folk similarly affected.

A community champion will probably b in touch soon to welcome u n give you a few pointers re the site. 

Meanwhile, welcome! Tho it's not a "club" anyone'd join willingly.

Fear of the unknown is the worst thing. Once we know what we're facing, we find the strength to deal with it.
  • Hi  and welcome to this corner of the Online Community, although I am sorry to see you finding us. See that you joined the Community a few months back so you may well have been looking around the Community.

As always, a great reply from and some great pointers. Our Lung Cancer Forum may well be a good place to connect with folks who have come through treatment and get their point of view on life post treatments.

As for your CT scare, been right there and was on the CT table ready for the needle to go take a biopsy from my lung but a pre opp scan showed that what ever it was all but gone....... but it does push the whirlwind noise up in the head.

A lot of folks, both patient and family think that one treatment is finished that it is. But for some this is far from the truth. You have been through a life changing experience and it will take time to start re-build your new way forward.

This post treatment time is not a sprint with instant success but a stone on stone journey. 

Make a cup of tea/coffee and have a look through this great paper. Folks will actually come back and say that they think that the paper had been written just about them. But I would always challenge folks to become proactive after reading through it and using it as a vehicle for change and life improvement.

You may find our various Macmillan Support Line Services to be helpful - call them on 0808 808 00 00 This free service covers Emotional Support, Practical Information. Clinical Information, Financial Support and Work Guidance mostly open 8.00 to 8.00 but check the link.

Talking to people who have walked the walk can help a lot so check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area or a Maggie’s Centre as these folks are amazing.

Always around to listen and help.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks for elaborating on what I said Mike

Fear of the unknown is the worst thing. Once we know what we're facing, we find the strength to deal with it.