Feeling like a failure after treatment

• 6 replies
  • 30 subscribers

I am 7 months post treatment  for breast cancer.  My treatment included chemotherapy TAC,  Raidotheropy and then Mastectomy and have been on hormone theopy 6 months. I feel like i am letting myself and my family down as every time someone says to me " you look really well" i think inside if only you knew, but i just smile. I am so very very tired and feel lime every day is a struggle. Each morning i wake and think i will be strong today but by the time i have got myself ready i feel exausted again. Is this normal as i feel i should be able to shake myself out of it 

• I think that no one can be seen as a failure after coming through cancer treatment, so be kind to yourself. The post treatment journey can actually be as hard as the treatment it’s self, it takes time to recover physically and mentally.

Its not about what people think...... I was always very honest when I was struggling when people said stupid things, some can take honesty others can’t but it’s all about taking each day as it comes and the longer things go on the better things will get - but it does required you to make choices to move forward not stand still.

Get a cold drink and have a look at this great paper as it does highlight the recovery milestones.

Talking to people face to face can help a lot so check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support Groups in your area or a Maggie’s Centre as these folks are amazing.

((Hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• U might want to post this in the Breast cancer group as you'll then get answers n support from ppl who have been thru the same as u.

There's such a thing as cancer fatigue, which is simply from living with it  or having had cancer - let alone  all the stuff you've been thru in the past 7 months! 

Don' t feel  u should b able to shake yourself out of it , instead cut  yourself some slack n b gentle with  yourself, ie be your own best friend. N heed your own signature advice!

Hugs, Sue x

Fear of the unknown is the worst thing. Once we know what we're facing, we find the strength to deal with it.
  • Thanks Sue i have taken your advise and added to breast cancer group . Thanks for the reply x

Just take each day as it comes and make the best of the ones you can 

• Will have a loom at paper thank you 

Just take each day as it comes and make the best of the ones you can 

• Hi you aren’t a failure I am 11 month post radiotherapy for tonsil cancer 35 daily radiotherapy and 2 full days chemotherapy.what yiu are feeling is radiantion tiredness I still have days where when I get up get dressed have breakfast feel absolutely shattered ok everyone says how well I look but I still have problems eating as all my radiation was directed at my throat. Join the breast cancer sector yiu will find yiu aren’t alone .

Hazel

blog www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com. 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now  6 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help

• I feel the same 8 months after surgery for womb cancer and radiotherapy. So tired and still in pain. Talking to others at Maggie’s and on here has made me realise this is my new normal and that is the hardest thing for me.

Be kind to yourself and put yourself first

x