Struggling with friends understanding

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 28 subscribers

hey, kind of new here but Im a 32 yr old single mum and just finished my radio and chemo at the end of April for cervical cancer after having two operations as well, and although I’m recovering well I still don’t have the energy I used too, and was also left with nerve damage in my leg. I’m finding that a lot of my friends just don’t really understand I can’t do the things I used to and feel uncomfortable when I talk about what I’ve been through.  One actually telling me to ‘just stop playing the cancer card’ 

it’s left me feeling super isolated and hurt and wondered if anyone else had experienced it 

• Hi  and first a welcome to the Online Community and a big ((hug)).

It is amazing how some ‘friends’ actually have no idea about the cancer journey and don’t understand the process especially the post treatment recovery.

I was diagnosed with my rare Lymphoma back in 1999 so have had years to develop a response strategy and my basic system was total truth and openness and if people thought I was ‘playing the cancer card’ I offered to change places with them for a few days....... most folks understood...... some walked away. You will find your true friends come to the surface at times like these.

A lot of people don’t actually know what to say out of fear, fear to offend you but fear for themselves as it brings people to the point of considering their own mortality.

So what about you moving on?

First make a cup of tea/coffee and have a read through this great paper, folks will actually come back to me and say that they think that the paper had been written just about them. 

You may like to follow this link to our Cervical cancer Forum where you will connect with people who understand the same post treatment journey.

Talking to people face to face can help a lot so check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support Groups in your area or a Maggie’s Centre as these folks are amazing.

When you feel up to it try putting some information in your profile. This really helps others when answering. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. Just click on YOUR username, select 'Edit Profile'. Put as much or as little in your profile and you can amend it at any time - you can see members profiles by hitting our forum names.

And even just putting stuff down on paper can make a big difference.

Allways around to help and listen ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Before I had cancer I had no idea what it meant and certainly about the after effects so I tell myself that when people say silly things to me. I tell them like it is so they understand what I am feeling and about my physical symptoms. You can tell straight away those people who’ve experienced it and those that haven’t..

Talking to others who’ve been through it really helps so do seek out support. There is a lot out there’s no need to feel isolated 

good luck x