Coping after cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 5 replies
  • 28 subscribers

hi guys I’m really struggling to cope with the fact I no longer have cancer. It has dominated my life for so long I have almost forgotten how it feels to be normal!! 

Am I alone in feeling this way? 

• Hi  and welcome to the Online Community, although I am always sorry to see folks finding us.

The post treatment journey can for some be as hard time. We expect to get back to normal but that looks miles away. I call my post treatment life my new normal and I do find that some of my old life I don’t miss and have developed a new satisfaction with life it’s self.

Make a cup of tea and have a look at this great paper, folks actually come back to me and say that they think that the paper had been written just about them.

Its often good to talk with folks, you can try our Macmillan Support Line Services to be helpful - call them on 0808 808 00 00 This free service covers Emotional Support mostly open 8.00 to 8.00 but check the link.

Talking to people face to face can help a lot so check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support Groups in your area or a Maggie’s Centre as these folks are amazing.

Some of our forums do have ongoing threads where folks support each other. You don’t say what type of cancer you had but you can look through our  Cancer specific forums.

When you feel up to it try putting some information in your profile. This really helps others when answering. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. Just click on YOUR username, select 'Edit Profile'. Put as much or as little in your profile and you can amend it at any time - you can see members profiles by hitting our forum names.

All the very best.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi and welcome to the community. The way you are feeling will be very familiar to many of us. Being  declared clear of cancer  (I never use the term cured) can be just as emotional as being diagnosed in the first place. Others think that we should be cracking open the champagne, but we know it is not as simple as that. Of course, we should celebrate, but it is short lived as the reality sets in. Our lives have been dictated by others for months and in some case years, and then we are left to fly solo. The fear and niggles of a recurrence will always be there. Every ache and pain makes us think twice. We try to get back to normal, but the normal that we once knew has gone. We have to learn to adapt to the new norm, and that is how we go forward. It does take time. There is a great article that many of us have read and you will recognise a lot of things in there, After treatment finishes - Then what ? A long read, but worth it. And there will always be someone here to talk to and who understand. Best wishes.

Best wishes to All,   rily.

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion ?

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to rily

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond I really appreciate it. 

I just feel very nervous. I am scared to plan anything or go on holiday as I’ve not been able to in such a long time and it feels abnormal for me to do it. 

I just want to enjoy enjoy this moment but I can’t. My family are expecting me to celebrate and throw a party but the reality is I’m terrified of even telling too many people in case the hospital got it wrong or the good news is short lived. 

Cancer has controlled me for 6 years. 

My brother said to me that it is good that we can go out for meals now and do family things without having to set an extra place for my sidekick. (Cancer). But the truth is I still feel like I need to. It’s been the elephant in the room so long I’ve adopted it as a pet!! 

• I think you need to get some adoption papers made up for your elephant.

Moving on with life is a choice. I was diagnosed in 1999 and only in the last few years I have been in remission and not had any treatment...... but that battle just about cost me my life so I fully intend to live in the moment, enjoy every experience and yes, go on holiday - my wife and I deserve it.

It would look for somewhere to sit and talk with someone and unpack the big rucksack of stuff that you have collected over your 6 years. 

A few years back I went on a 7 week (one afternoon a week) ‘where now?’ course at our local Maggie’s Centre. It was great to sit and talk with survivors but I did find I had to deal with ‘survivors guilt’ I felt guilty that I had survived where two very good friends died after a short journey with their cancers.

But during the course I was reminded that the three of us made a commitment that who of the three of us was left in the end that they would enjoy life to the full and life in honour of them.

Please have a good look at the paper we gave you and keep posting as this actually works.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi You’ve had some great advice already. I agree that moving on is an active choice. It’s not easy and it’ll take some effort but it’s worth it. I was diagnosed 3 yrs ago and had nearly a years worth of treatment (surgery, chemo and radiotherapy) so I’ve another 3 yrs to go to the “magic” 5 yr marker. I’ve known from the beginning that it’s an aggressive type of cancer and that if it recurs it will probably be treatable but probably not curable. At first it felt like the bottom had dropped out of my world. My daughter had just announced her engagement - would I live to see it? Planning her wedding was such an emotional time. We went wedding dress shopping and I had to work hard not to cry because I was so fearful about the future. There came a point where a good friend gently but firmly told me I could spend my life worrying about the what ifs or I could start to retake some control and enjoy life again. So we (hubby and me) planned a holiday and went and it was great - it was something of the old normal but I was seeing everything through new eyes. We’ve been away a few times since and it’s been the same. I’ve gradually done new things, picked up old things and left some things behind. I’m learning to deal with the what ifs - some days they pounce into my mind without warning and it takes a lot of hard work to get rid of them. Other days I don’t think about cancer at all. I was determined that cancer wouldn’t define me. You say cancer has controlled you for 6 yrs - that’s a long time and I sense it’s been a very difficult 6 yrs for you and your family. I’d just say that now is your time - your time to begin to reclaim your life, to plan things to look forward too. Yes there’ll be days when the fears kick in but we can choose how we deal with that. Start small - plan a weekend away for example, then build on that. I do understand that fear that if you tell too many people it might be short lived but it’s your life, a life to be enjoyed and lived to the full. Sending you lots of good wishes for the future. x