Pregnancy after DIEP

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 29 subscribers

Hi all, just looking for some advice. I’ve been offered the opportunity to have a delayed DIEP reconstruction of my right (affected) breast but would like to know whether or not that means I can’t have any more children. I have already had two miracles (one who was born at 33+4 due to my breast cancer diagnosis and the other who was conceived naturally post chemotherapy, radiotherapy etc). I’m struggling with the idea that by having the operation, I’m taking the decision about having more children out of nature’s hands. Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this or knows any difinitive answer as to whether the two things are possible together?

• You might want to post this in the breast cancer group, as it could then reach ppl who have a similar experience?

Fear of the unknown is the worst thing. Once we know what we're facing, we find the strength to deal with it.
  • hi

I agree with the other poster that this would be a good post for the breast group

Breast cancer

firstly because you'll find people with similar experiences but secondly because there have been a few people over the years asking about having children post diagnosis and post chemo, so you're in a really good position to help others as well as potentially being helped. 

In my humble opinion and I'm not medically trained at all, the DIEP uses the fatty tissue of the abdomen to recreate a breast shape requiring incision and repair by stitching or gluing and the risks would be similar to having too many C sections, the skin gets a bit fragile and liable to rupture, bulge or herniate. They might not recommend it or advise against it but would probably leave the decision up to you.

Carolyn

xx

real life success stories to remind you that people do survive breast cancer

https://community.macmillan.org.uk/cancer_types/breast-cancer/f/38/t/115457

Dr Peter Harvey

https://www.workingwithcancer.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/After-the-treatment-finishes-then-what.pdf