Anxiety and depression

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 8 replies
  • 28 subscribers

I was diagnosed with bi lateral breast cancer In 2013 after chemotherapy radiotherapy and surgery I am now in remission. This year I will have my last annual check up. This has started my anxiety & depression. I'm constantly thinking that every little ache & pain is the start of cancer again.(even though had had no pain when I was diagnosed). Has anyone else felt like this? Do you think counselling would help? Would love to hear from anyone that has gone through similar. 

• Hi,I definitely feel counselling or something similar ( eg cognitive behavioural therapy) would  help you. Simply talking to someone else helps. it's understandable that u r feeling anxious n depressed ; after all, you've had the rug pulled out from under you/ your safety net taken away in that this year will b your last annual check up.

Have u tried ringing the help line 0808 808 0000, or would u prefer to talk to someone face to face?

You've taken the first step posting on  here now follow it up. Good luck!

Fear of the unknown is the worst thing. Once we know what we're facing, we find the strength to deal with it.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to buttercup01

At the moment I really can't face talking to anyone as I'm so emotional. You are right my safety net is going & it's the fear of the unknown. Thank you for your comments. I'm sure I will build myself up to talk to someone. 

• In which case carry on talking to people on here. Love n hugs xx

Fear of the unknown is the worst thing. Once we know what we're facing, we find the strength to deal with it.
  • Oops. Just liked my own comment by mistake lol

• I do all the time lol

the post treatment journey can be as hard as the treatment it’s self.

Can I give you a little tool to help you along the road.

When I post this great paper, folks will actually come back to me and say that they think that the paper had been written just about them. But I would always challenge folks to become proactive after reading through it and using it as a vehicle for change and life improvement.

So get a note book or some sheets of paper and put pen to paper - it is a good way forward.

So a page per subject heading. Start detailing the things you have done already to move life on in each area and then start to set some achievable goals to work towards. 

When you achieve the first goal on each lists, tick it off and then put a new goal at the bottom of the list. By doing this you can actually see your progress and celebrate achievements. When I say celebrate I do mean giving yourself treats and gifts........ you have life - celebrate it.

The headings would be:

What steps are you taking to regain trusts in your body?

What steps are you taking to regain trust in yourself?

What steps are you taking to overcome living with uncertainty?

What steps are you taking to deal with the world?

What steps are you taking to regain mastery and control of your life?

Try it, the future is sitting in front of you - think about driving a car. The big windscreen shows the future, the past is in the little mirrors and is getting smaller and more fuzzy as we move forward.....if you concentrate on the past you crash.

((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• So true Mike

• Having just skimread this paper, it is brilliant.

I will read it more slowly when I can concentrate more fully.

Thanks for posting it Mike.

• Thinking  of u x