Joint pain after treatment has finished

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 7 replies
  • 28 subscribers

Hi I finished all my treatment for TNBC in June 2016 and thankful everything is ok but still have constant joint pain, anybody else with this problem 

• Hi Bobby,

I have womb cancer but I've been told to eat plenty dairy to make sure that my bones are healthy and that I have enough calcium, I think the lack of hormones after hysterectomy makes us more prone to bone problems.

Are you on a hormonal therapy for your TNBC? It might be affecting your bones. Just a thought, I've no medical knowledge to back it up lol.

I have found myself with lower back and leg joint pain since my surgery in August, my arms seem to be ok at the moment. 

Lots of love

Xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Bobby,

I had Bc in 2010. I have been on anastrazole for approx 4 years. For about 18 months I have had joint ppain in my shoulders arms and hands, which affaffe my sleep. I stopped anastrazole in October 2017 and am waiting for a rheumatology appt.

Unfortunately things are against us as Bc treatments, hormone therapy and complications such as lymphoedema all contribute to joint and muscle pain.  I feel very tired and frustrated with life at present.

Have you discussed your side effects with your gp. That may be the first place to start

Best wishes

Clare 

• I had non hodkin lymphoma and finish treatment 4 yrs ago. I have suffered really bad with joint pain since. I just get told its arhiritus but i personnally think it was down to the chemo but no doctor will say it is. I have to take pain killers every day. I did start running last year but told i couldnt but have found it very benificail. 

Hope you get some answere.

JLowe

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Bobby,

I finished treatments for Triple Negative Breast Cancer 6 years ago. Although I have on going health issues and I face more surgeries as a result of being diagnosed as having the BRCA1 gene, I thank God I'm surviving.

I too have been dealing with joint pains, I have pains in my right arm, shoulder and chest. I have excruciating lower back and leg which is a different sciatic nerve issue.

My joint pains started after the chemotherapy and radiation. I thought it was as a result of the chemo, the doctors kept saying it would get better, that it was probably arthritic. I've had bone scans, MRIs, tests for arthritis etc I've also lost some weight which was supposed to help. I'm still suffering the joint pains and I haven't got answers why. I also have to take pain medication everyday as well as having some pain management courses, have you thought about that? Maybe you can ask your GP if that might help.

We've all been through so much and we don't know what's ahead but we can wake up in the morning - no matter how difficult that is at times - and be thankful we're here. I will just keep seeking answers from the doctors, undergo whichever therapy that will help and keep marching on - so to speak!

Take care and be kind to yourself.

Mary.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi 

I was diagnosed in 2010 at the age of 35yrs, interesting  to see your blog I also experience bone and joint pain. Over the last few months I have had numerous test including bone scan, MRI and full blood analysis in which the key common dominator is inflammation. 

My consultant said in December 2017 , that due to having EC & Dexatoxin chemo and radiotherapy, unfortunately the long term effect is advance arthritis and joint pain. He did say the chest pain can be up to 5_7 years after radiotherapy ( I had breast cancer 2010 and a facial cancer 2017) 

I know at times you will feel absolutely exhausted, but how bad my joints and especially my low legs ache I'm just so glad I have beaten the beast 

I do have massage on a weekly basis which do ease the discomfort and crazy enough I did attended some alternative therapies session at the haven and they suggested licorice which seems to help rather than popping tramadol all the time 

Stay strong

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Glad to see this thread (in a way, not glad about the situation)

diagnosed BC triple - @30 in ‘17, finished treatment (chemo, rads, surg) in ‘18

ive been having hives since ‘18 and now 3 months ago began having joint pains, it’s very random but mainly occurs in my limbs, finger joints, wrist, knee, toes, ankle. Sometimes it’s very painful, sometimes it’s weakness and I can’t walk. It’s usually one side at a time.

My blood tests and xrays are clear, don’t know what to do next. I tolerate pain well but one time was too bad I had to take ibuprofen but I don’t want to live on this, plus the randomness of the attacks makes it hard to plan outings or even do everyday stuff.

i have no doubt it’s related to all that I’ve had in my body, but I need help now Disappointed

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

I too am glad I've found this site (purely due to googling to try and find help for bone pain through using Letrozole).  I was diagnosed earlier this year aged 61, with BC.  I live in Spain at the moment an so it was quite difficult having consultations, tests etc. due to language difficulty.  However the Spanish doctors and nurses are in my opinion second to none and from initial tests, biopsies and finally two surgeries I was informed in April that I was cancer free, but just to be sure I had to undergo a 16 day course of Radiotherapy and as an additional safeguard have to take Letrozole for 5 years.  I don't know whether I was in denial or where I got the strength from, but I seemed to breeze my way through the first five months of this year.  However at the end of May my husband received notice from his employer that the whole company was relocating from Gibraltar to Malta - which means we have to pack up and move at the end of this month.  I advised my oncologist here in Spain and she reassured me that any follow up checks i.e. bone density scans would be handled qutie effectively in my new country of residence.  Now, for the past 6 weeks or so, I am finding myself very emotional and cry at the slightest thing.  I have developed severe aches and pains mostly in my upper arms but had an episode a few days ago where I felt chest pains as if I had severe trapped wind.  reading everyone else's experiences has actually helped me to accept that these symptoms are normal and things can be done to help, and I am now just counting the days till we move, I get settled and can establish a relationship with a new oncologist who hopefully can continue to guide me on my continued path and hopefully begin to take control of my life again.  

p.s.  I have been having serious problems with my hip for some time (wear and tear due to previous childhood illness), so maybe something good will come out of all this and I might just get a new hip.  Hopefully be a new woman by the end of this year!!