HOPE course

• 18 replies
  • 38 subscribers

Hi everyone

I can appreciate how difficult it can be to get back to life after having treatment for cancer. I have been there, got the tshirt! I  found a combination of counselling and medication for anxiety/depression really helped me so if any of you are thinking of going down that route I would recommend it. Talking to someone not involved in your situation can be really beneficial.

Often we get on that treadmill of treatment and it is only after, sometimes a long time after, that it really hits you what you have gone through. About 18 months after my diagnosis I hit a low spot and decided to do an online course called HOPE. The letters stand for Help Overcoming Problems Effectively. I found the activities relevant, helpful and interesting. It was good to connect with other people who had gone through a cancer diagnosis. 

HOPE is a course that was devised by Coventry University and is delivered via Macmillan. At the moment the online version is not available but face to face courses run across the country. This week I attended training in Birmingham to become a HOPE facilitator, and I am now at the stage of embarking on running a course locally. 

If anyone is interested in finding out more there is a link to HOPE here. It gives information on the course and a basic introduction to some of the activities which include how to tackle fatigue, goal setting, managing stress and mindfulness. A range of delivery methods exist with a a course for carers as well as an introductory session of a few hours in place as well as the main course for people who have had cancer, which lasts for 2 and a half hours for 6 weeks.

Hope this may be of help for some of you. 

Take care

Sue x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

Hello- It's not about prognosis- I will likely die with, not of, Neuroendocrine cancer.

I don't have a local Maggie's...

It's just a shame the course excludes people like those with NEC

Beth

• The HOPE course is not available in Inverness so can’t comment on what the course covers and it’s a shame that you don’t have a Maggie’s in your area.

I have a number of friends who recently died following a few years living with a terminal diagnosis - I was so impressed as to there ability to look past their diagnosis and live out the remainder of their lives well with a good measure of peace.

I do with you well and hope you can find somewhere to find support in your area. The Macmillan Support Line Services on 0808 808 00 00 are always around to help out ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi

Have you actually spoken to someone at Macmillan about attending a HOPE course?. I attended one in March 2019 and there was a lady on it with terminal metastatic breast cancer. 

Wendy

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to retired47

Hi all

Just passing and thought I'd linger a bit in this discussion.

The Hope Programme or how to

Help to

Overcome

Proplems

Effectively

is a joint initiative between Macmillans and Coventry University and normally comprises of 6 weekly face to face sessions  of 2½ hours covering various topics but if your time is at premium some areas also run a shortened HOPE programmes such as a Two-Day condensed HOPE course or Take Control which is a single 3 hour workshop.

For more information see here The Hope Programme 

For information on courses in your area email ServiceOpsLearning@macmillan.org.uk

I hope this is of interest to all but what would really be of interest would to be hear from members who have attended the programme. Remember the programme is not specific to any one type of cancer its about moving on afterwards.

Ian

CC

By clicking on any of the green text above will open up new pages for you including the link to the email page for further information.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to retired47

Yes, and they said the course was designed to help people move beyond cancer, and that I was welcome to attend *when I had completed treatment*.

Like I said, people with Neuroendocrine cancer never complete treatment. 

((shrug))

• Hi @bodach, I attended a HOPE course in 2013, when I was living with cancer. I discovered at the end of the course I had a brain met - which was treated by Cyberknife. I then went onto Pazopanib, having up till then just been monitored via chest x rays n nCT scans.

So no way was my course only for those who'd finished treatment. It seems local Macmillan facilitators have different criteria?

I found it a v useful n practical  course and still have the notes I took then. I made some good friends too, tho unfortunately haven't kept up with them for various reasons. I would certainly recommend it and also recommend you push to be included d - despite- your treatment never ending.

Fear of the unknown is the worst thing. Once we know what we're facing, we find the strength to deal with it.
  • This discussion caught my eye, I am currently on a Hope course just done the second of 6 sessions.  I had an incurable diagnosis back in 2015 and I’m still on treatment, I must admit as I have to travel 30 miles to get to this course and as I have fatigue after each three weekly treatment I have only just felt it’s the right time for me as my treatment has moved to 6 weekly, felt that the effort involved would not be overwhelming. Previously I felt though that the info it contains can be gained by reading the many pages in the information and support sections on here, and the support and help from any local support group or centre. I think I still feel that but I am also glad that I’m making the effort to go. 

, I am really glad that you have posted those links, and the explanation of the course name. Many people on the course use the course to cope with worry of cancer returning, but I feel for me it’s making sure I have as many things in my emotion coping tool box as possible.

Best wishes

Take care KT

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to buttercup01

Thank you for your encouragement, . I do find it strange that different areas have different guidelines... but that's to bring to MacMillan.  I'm glad the group has helped you, and I hope your health is holding up.