Parastomal repair

• 4 replies
  • 31 subscribers

What happens when parastomal hernia repair doesn't work

• Hi  

You haven’t given much information in your post, and I’m sorry I’m not able to answer your question.

You might want to ask the nurses about this, and you can do this by clicking on this link.

Ask the Expert

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Sorry I had just had a major leakage and panicked.

Here's my story.July 21 had op for rectal cancer which resulted in me ending up with a stoma.About 2 months after the op I noticed a lump by my bum.It ended up being a perineal hernia that came out between my bum cheeks which incidentally had been stitched up from the op.I also noticed a lump by my stoma which proceeded to grow to the size of a grapefruit.

I was devastated.I had to change all my clothes to disguise the bulges but the worst problem was leakage from the stoma.My output was quite thick and never went to bottom of bag.I tried various bags and nothing helped.I felt like a freak.

Eventually I found a surgeon who was willing to do the repair.I had surgery on both hernias fortunately the one in my bum worked but the parastomal one just regrew.Im now back with lump behind my stoma the size of a small melon and leakages every day from the side of bag.I had the surgery to correct hernias Feb last year and my surgeon just says come back in 6 months..

Can anyone give any advise please.

• Hi again  

Thank you for sharing your experience-you’ve been through an incredibly difficult time, and I was sorry to read your story. I am very lucky with 2 stomas that I’ve not experienced a parastomal hernia with either of them.

It’s disappointing that you haven't received any responses yet, but maybe no-one has experienced a similar situation. Did you mean that your surgeon won’t see you for another 6 months from now? That does seem a long time if so. Have you contacted them again to explain your current situation to see if it can be assessed again and if further action is possible? 

Living with stomas can be difficult enough at times, so this added complication must make things especially hard for you. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Jennifer r,

I have two stomas, both with parastomal hernias. The ileostomy is the largest although neither of them cause a problem apart from selecting clothes to keep them covered. They don't bother me enough to consider further surgery with everything that entails.

There are various accessories available to overcome leaks (e.g. adhesive enhancers and elastic tapes) and your stoma nurse should be able to support you in trying some of them out. These, together with (perhaps) a concave ostomy pouch combined with skin preparation free from soap and moisturiser might do the trick. I use plain cold water and a single adhesive remover wipe with excellent results.

Dulac