Stoma reversal and parstomal repair

• 45 replies
  • 34 subscribers

Hi 

i was given a loop colostomy in Dec 21, after finding out I was advanced stage 4  N1 Anal cancer, iv had no problems with my stoma  infact it’s actually really help as for many years iv suffered with my bowels  always constipated, I do still get like this but just seems to be much easier to deal with having my stoma, I now  have a parastomal hernia which a hate, iv had to change the way I dress, and I have melt downs when going to an occasion as I feel I look horrible in everything I try on it really gets me down, anyway my question is, after have the reversal what should i expect as my colorectal surgeon said I would be going to the toilet 5 to 10 times a day I could leak poo, I don’t want any of that, does it get better or will I have to live like that, I’m going in for a sigmoid scope I think to check if all is ok down there I’m in remission no signs of  tumour but I suppose they need to check to see if there is that chance of leaking just want to talk to someone that has gone through both  reversal and hernia repair, I know everyone is different and we all heal differently but want to know what could possibly happen any advice welcome and thanks for reading 

Laura x x

• Hi Geraldine and all, 

well I had my sigmoidscope they found 2 lumps up there and took multiple biopsies, results came back clear of cancer but the lumps are scar tissue, the colorectal surgeon said you should be able to get about 3/4 fingers up there but he couldn’t even get the tip of his little finger past so unfortunately no reversal for me which to be fair I’m ok with I definitely have a much better quality of life with it, he is putting me on the waiting list for a parastomal hernia repair he reckons about a years wait so this time next year. 

I hope all gos well with the op

tske care 

laura x x 

ps wishing you all a merry Christmas x x 

• Hello to all you lovely people

I've had my reversal done 1pm  yesterday whoop whoop! Apart from the first few hours on recovery with shock and tremours, I am feeling brighter and optomistic.

I haven't eaten anything since 5.30 am saturday evenjng.

Had to use bed pan already this morning, all appears normal atm.

Looking forward to getting out of bed later if allowed.

I was pre warned I would need to wear a support belt for 6wks.

They didn't put one on me!! Wondering why!

Had oramorph in the night.

Wearing inflatable bed boots!!!

Feeling quite normal today, only have a small scar.

Hope you all  have a lovely xmas xx

• I'm due to have a Reversal  Stoma, Hernia and Polyp removed in my Colon on Wednesday 10th January 2024 after a year with a Stoma I'm a bit nervous as 61 years of age but be glad to get rid of Stoma changing bag every morning and emptying it 15 times a day and 2, times through the night squatting over the Toilet makes me very tired especially after 4 cycles of Chemotherapy but glad to be Cancer free and hopefully back to normal in a couple of months get on with my life

• Mine was reversed just before Christmas. First two weeks buy some incontinence pants, the poo is horrendous. It's starting to settle down now and I can control it. Bear in mind your bum has had nothing to do for a year, and the muscles have forgotten what to do. You need to start practising clenching your bum muscles now. It's a real relief not emptying the bag 3 times during the night, so it's been certainly worth it

• Oh thanks for the update I had a lot of problems with Mucus during my Chemotherapy as well from my Bum loads and terrible pain in my stomach/back where can I get Incontinence pants please?

• They are ladies ones but are unisex really. Get from Asda, Aldi and probably Tesco. Look in the femine health area. They work very well, but buy 2 or 3 packs to start

• Hi. Just had mine reversed. A pad is no good. You need incontinence pants, cos there is a lot of pooing for 2 weeks before it settles a bit

• Oh thanks for the good advice going to get good Incontinence pants 3 sets that I can wash as well 

• Hi there I was reversed Sep 22 and tried the pants. The issue for me was sleeping and not getting to the toilet quick enough. Removing the pants caused mess everywhere whilst not being able to remove them and sit down 

I used age co for my supply of pads that were amazing.  I was well able to remove  the pad out from my full briefs and sit down which really reassured me 

After two weeks it settled down however I needed to attend appointments and the pads allowed me to feel confident 

Good luck with it all 

Best wishes 

Ann
     ‍Art

• Many thanks for the kind advice and support took your advice been in touch before my Operation today and their going to help me up the hospital with pads I've purchased Tena mens biefs for home 10 for £9 just in case