Foods high in soluble fibre

• 3 replies
  • 29 subscribers

Over the last two years, I’ve been advised on suitable diet for avoiding over-straining LARS. Most consistent has been to avoid insoluble fibre, and this is a list of the more common foods high in soluble fibre. We still need to take care, such as by peeling fruit and avoiding woods parts of vegetables such as broccoli. I’ve also been advised to drink half an hour before or after a meal. And to contain caffeine intake as it can speed up the bowel - I enjoy redbush tea which is naturally caffeine-free.

Look forward to hearing any other tips that help keep you regular.

Flaxseeds, chia seed, psyllium husk

Passion fruit

Whole grains like barley, oats/oat bran, amaranth, etc.

Lentils and other legumes like green peas

Beans including black, kidney, white, butter and haricot beans & edamame

Chickpeas

Tofu and tempeh (fermented soy products)

Avocado

Brussels sprouts, cabbage, broccoli and other cruciferous veggies, but not the stalks

Artichoke hearts

Sweet potato

Asparagus

Turnips & carrots

Dried figs, prunes, apricots and dates

Oranges & melon (not watermelon)

Nectarines & peaches

Pears & Apples

Berries

Carrots

Macadamia nuts, hazel nuts

• Hi Wellspring. Thanks for the info. I’m still on stodgy food my bowel falling asleep or blocking I’m taking baby steps.
    I will really enjoy adding your ideas. 
    Shame sweetcorn’s not on the list. I love sweet corn 

take care 

Ann
     ‍Art

• Oh Artsie - doesn’t it make us holy to deny ourselves what we crave?

Not sure quite how definitive the lists are but the dietician was pretty emphatic about two of my favourites: mushrooms and sweetcorn (snap). Big no’s, for me at any rate. This list doesn’t give us a carte blanche though. I’ve been advised to aim for around 15-20g of fibre daily. Perhaps you could talk with your team about what a starting target for you might be. Starting small, experimenting, not trying too much new variety at once. All part of the advice…

Every blessing
    Wellspring
  • Thanks Wellspring. 
    Im going to introduce a little next week once I’m confident that I’m not going to put myself back in hospital. 
    I did really enjoy sweetcorn I could live on the stuff but that’s a no indefinitely as I think that’s what caused me issues. 
    I sneaked some in a vegetable rice which was delicious and no problem. Then I over did the sweetcorn ratio. I just can not be trusted 

Grin

Ann
     ‍Art