What are the symptoms of Ileus please?

• 9 replies
  • 32 subscribers

It me moaning again

In my previous post I’d put up that I was admitted with blocking and let out to watch and wait 

Well here comes the weekend and my bowels are not moving , stomach is bloating , numbing sensation above my surgery scar. It feels exactly the same so I’m just waiting for pain and vomiting 

I have not taken any loperamide and have taken some gentle stool softeners 

I am panicking inside that this is going to be an ambulance call when I know there no way they will be able to get me and my husband is unable to get me in the car. 
So I want to avoid that if possible 

I have eaten white bread peanut butter sandwich yesterday and toast for dinner. Today a porridge breakfast white bread banana sandwich lunch with soup and white bread for dinner hoping that if I’m sick it won’t be as bad as before 

My stomach is growing by the minute and the only advice I’ve been given is drink plenty and exercise  Which I’ve done lots of both!
Any advice would be so welcome. Could it be ileus or a blockage hopefully caused by hard stool

Thanks in advance 

PS I don’t want to use Dr Google as I know that I discover it’s something nasty !

• Oh Artsie,You are not moaning,I think you need some medical help.When I had Ileus my bowels stopped working,I was bloated with abdominal pain and vomiting.The pain wasn’t too bad to start with but got worse over time like the vomiting.I don’t think you should leave this especially as you have done as advised and the bowels are still not moving.I hope something can be done to help.Love Jane xx

• Hi Artsie. Nearly two years on from reversal, my bowel went on strike. Reluctantly headed to A&E to be checked out. Mixture of patience and glycerol suppositories eventually worked but I’m glad I had x-rays to make sure nothing else going on. Even if was finally discharged at 3:30. AM!!

Hope things work out naturally, but I’d encourage a medical opinion. 

Every blessing
    Wellspring
  • Thank you. I’m in a bit of a state. The gentle pains started and I was in agony the first time. 
    It’s so reassuring that you’ve experienced it and all was okay 

Ann
     ‍Art

• Thank you 

I’m wondering if my bowels on strike too as it’s such a weird feeling. I can sit on the loo forever and there’s absolutely nothing. 
    I wish I didn’t tell them I had a tiny BM in the hospital. It was rectal size in my case a tiny sausage. I would have had a CT if I’d id kept my mouth shut! 

Now I feel there’s no movement at all. It’s frightening it’s like there no sensation

Like us all I’m imagining I’m blocked by Cancer AKA the Ghoul. I feel that’s an apt name for it 

Ann
     ‍Art

• Artsie,How is it going this morning?

Kath

• Hi Kath 

Thanks for post. I had a bad night  but thankfully eventually the bowel woke up early hours. So much better coming down than going up. I’m just tired. That’s through sleep deprivation and liquid diet. Hopefully it’ll settle over weekend. 
    How are you ? xx

Ann
     ‍Art

• I’m glad to hear the bowel has woken up.I hope you can get some rest over the weekend.Love and hugs Jane xx

• Good to hear that things are improving.

Try to have a good rest and maybe some rubbish tv.

Kath

• Hi Ann

Sorry to read of your issues-sounds horrible. I’m glad things seem to be improving and hope you’ll feel better over the weekend now you can get some rest and be more comfortable. Take it easy.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm