Stoma Reversal

• 1 reply
  • 31 subscribers

Hi All

ive just recently joined the group and have been very interested to hear all your stories as it so helps knowing your not the only one going through this and the remedies you have found which help.

I had Rectal Cancer which was removed in February 2022. I had a temporary Stoma fitted until my surgery healed. I had a lot of problems with leakage until my Stoma Nurse recommended a different type. I couldn’t wait until I got my Stoma Reversal (June22) very quick just 4 months after my surgery. 
I, like a lot of you have had problems with having to go to the toilet numerous times in a hurry and on a couple of occasions actually pooped my pantsWeary. Going out wasn’t an option unless I knew there was a toilet handy. I thought this was all just normal after I had the Reversal and would have to put up with it until things settled down.

However, after watching a You Tube video on this Forum where a Doctor talked about Stoma Reversal and all the problems and you shouldn’t just put up with them.  I took his advice and started to take an Imodium/Loperamide an hour before my evening meal.This did help a bit I then talked to the Colorectal Nurse and I am now taking 1 in the morning and one before my evening meal. What a difference that has made. I am now back to my bowels moving once a day, usually in the morning and the urgency to get to the toilet has gone. Although I still have to sit longer to try and get that finished feelingLaughing

My reversal was very quick and I am not sure if it takes longer for things to settle if you’ve had your Stoma for longer. I just wanted to share my story with others and hopefully it helps in some way. 

• Thanks for sharing your positive story Karen61 

It does makes a difference having a reversal within six months so my surgeon told me. So that’s definitely helped with your speedy recovery. I’m thirteen months from LAR to reversal and getting there. No meds at the moment but I have them there if needs be. 

Ann
     ‍Art