Stoma reversal.

• 6 replies
  • 29 subscribers

I had emergency surgery in March for a Perforated Bowel. Had Divirticulitis for several years. Due to have reversal by end of this year. I have heard that recovery can last from a few weeks to a few months! Need to know how others have coped and how long recovery was. Thanks!

• Hi 

I like you did all the research and I was seriously thinking of not having it done. My stoma gave me freedom from sitting on the toilet and the pure relief that my rectal cancer was in the bin made me enjoy life even more.

Then thirteen months after my LAR I had the reversal 

I decided that if I didn’t try I would never know and my surgeon said that my bowel was healthy

I am ten days since op and although still sleeping downstairs as easy access to the downstairs toilet  today I awoke up at 6.10 and had BM then not until six tonight 

Early days my BM was pure water I had bought large pads and needed them I couldn’t get to the toilet quick enough however that’s because I hadn’t eaten once I introduced a diet similar to when I had my Ileostomy my stool  thickened and was more controllable  my diet it boring stodgy and I know I will slip and will pay the price

Its early days but I don’t regret a minute of it even when it was pretty horrendous it’s only poo

I have had so much support on here and my surgeon has support afterwards which is what tipped me to go for it plus worst case scenario they said another stoma could be formed 

I think that reversals can be tricky if the issue is very low down  my rectum was removed and a new one formed so I have very little storage at the moment but it can be made bigger with time 

I hope that this helps 

Ann
     ‍Art

• Thank you Ann for responding! Appreciate it. I am trying to get as much info as I can about my upcoming Reversal. I hope you continue to do well. Please keep me posted on how you are doing!
  • No problem Jill

Have they said that you could have an issue when reversed? 
    I think some people settle really quickly it depends on what’s been taken and how much treatment has caused a slower recovery

My surgeon said that some people are absolutely fine afterwards so it’s a very individual outcome 

I am a candidate for LARS but so far so good. 

Ann
     ‍Art

• I had just a foot of Colon removed. I am told I am a good candidate for the reversal. I am worried about my recovery though. I guess it all depends on the patient and how well they tolerate everything. Some say a few weeks, some say a few months. Not happy to hear the 'few months' part!Flushed

• Although I’m not medical I have done lots of research and I believe it’s the rectum especially a low down tumour that can cause control problems and lack of storage. If you’re higher up you should be dandy.  That part hasn’t been touched so you should good to go. 
    When your researching check to see if they had the same op as you. It may reassure you 

The operation it’s self is not long so physically it’s a quick recovery. Because you won’t be able to eat for at least 24hours your bowel will be empty so it’ll only be liquid that you will be passing to start  That’s tricky however once you get some food in there it should be all systems go. 
    Im on loperamide at the moment which is really helping. I am only ten days post op and I’m improving really well 
    Good luck with it all 

Ann
     ‍Art

• Hi I thought I’d add that I was at the hospital yesterday as my wound is open. I have a hole where the stoma was. So that’s also something to consider. It’s better to know before than like me think that I was splitting myself open.
    Though I can be a drama Queen at times 

Have a good day 

Ann
     ‍Art