Laxatives, water soluble enema, ileostomy?

• 2 replies
  • 31 subscribers

Hi!

I've been scheduled for a Water Soluble Contrast Enema as one of the tests to have before we can schedule the ileostomy reversal I've been dreaming of since March last year. 

The letter said to take Picolax twice in the day before which I found odd as:

1) I was told to avoid laxatives like the plauge due to it being severly dehydrating, especially with an ileostomy

2) They won't reach my large bowel anyway as you know, it's not connected. 

I wrote my surgeons secretary and asked her about this as it seemed odd, and she came back and said the surgeon and head nurse both said I should do what the letter says as it is the same prep for everyone no matter if you have a stoma or not. 

However.. We called the department where this is set to take place and the guy we spoke to said that he was extremely sorry I got the wrong letter as they are two different ones - one for people without stomas and one for people with stomas as the prep is different. He said for me not to take the laxatives as I will get something then and there. 

I'm feeling as my trust in my surgeon is completely gone but a bit lost. 

Has anybody had any experience with this?

Thank you x

• Hi Missem

I had this procedure in January and didn't need prep beforehand, either at home or immediately before the actual procedure.  I'm not sure if different NHS Boards do things differently.  Maybe try phoning your stoma nurse just to double check.

Hope it all goes well. 

• Hi Missem

You don’t need to take the laxatives.

I had a similar letter however I was told that the leaflet was for two different types of patients. 

They were taking images of the join after my LAR op  

It can also be  for impacted stools a totally different procedure that some people need that are unable to empty their bowel.

I was worried about this test before I even got the letter and I really didn’t need to. It’s not uncomfortable or anything invasive. In fact I was fascinated in the screens. They put a little coloured  fluid into the back passage with no discomfort which shows up on the screens so they can check the join. I found it interesting and I  asked lots of questions before and during  I had to move around for them to get a full picture but it wasn’t uncomfortable at all.

I hope all goes well 

Ann
     ‍Art