LARS and Tenesmus

• 4 replies
  • 30 subscribers

Hello, I was diagnosed with Bowel cancer and underwent a low anterior resection 8 weeks ago to remove the tumour. I didn’t have a loop ileostomy during surgery but after being discharged from hospital  it became evident that I had an anastomotic leak which lead to infection and abscess. I was readmitted to hospital and had further surgery to drain the leak and have a temporary ileostomy and stoma around 5 weeks ago. I am experiencing a feeling everyday of wanting to have a bowel movement and sensation of fullness in the rectum and wondered if anybody else had similar and how long it might last? I am taking oromorph to numb the sensation but the feeling just keeps coming back and is getting me down. I also have lower back pain and aching legs to boot. I read aBout LARS and wondered if this could be what I am experieing? Any advice would be most welcome. To end on a positive note I did get the news that I am cancer free following the surgeries. Thanks. 

• Hi Riverboat75 

sorry for the delay in responding. I replied last night but for some reason it didn’t post. My error. 
    I had a Lower Anterior Resection with a temporary loop ileostomy. It’s common to have the sensation that you need to go to the toilet. some people pass the little amounts of stool The bowel is making mucus and at times I passed clear mucus.

My consultant did tell me not to strain in the early days.  I had the feeling for quite a while and at one point I thought it felt the same as before my operation almost like the pressure. It woke me up at times and also got me down 

It settles down but if you’re concerned you could phone your team. 

I thought that after a reversal of the ileostomy especially if it was a lower tumour the functioning of the bowel becomes unmanageable and people need support/meds or just time to settle

I am a candidate for LARS my surgeon has advised me and offered support when I eventually get a reversal. 

I am not sure about LARS before reversal. 
    Is your stoma working well?  

Ann
     ‍Art

• Thanks Artsie, that has helped put my mind at ease. Will give it a few more weeks to see if it settles down. My stoma is ok and managing well, I don’t think I will ever get used to it though and will be up for a reversal when offered one :-)

• No problem 

It takes six to eight weeks for the stoma to form then you can have the bags cut to fit. You can introduce new foods and in no time the stoma can be forgotten about and carry on. In fact I’ve travelled to Spain and booked for Ireland. I’ve stayed in hotels eaten and drank anything I wanted. My diet is varied and it’s no bother. I’m nine months in. Reversal was meant to be two - three months then six now a year. That’s Covid but cancers in the bin and I manage my stoma so well I really don’t want to be sat on the toilet all day and night with a reversal just yet I want to see my friends and family  So I’m happy to wait. 
    I’ve been told that my reversal will be challenging afterwards and to get bowel control back could take months. My bowel is asleep now so waking it up could be an issue for a while. But then I will go for it if offered. 
    I hope things improve soon for you 

Ann
     ‍Art

• Hi there Riverboat75

Ive just found out that it’s possible to have LARS after surgery before a reversal  so it’s probably a really good idea to get medical advice. 

I didn’t know. We are all on a learning curve. 

Hope things settle soon for you.

I remember waking up in the night with the feeling that I needed to go and it did pass. it’s horrible 

Ann
     ‍Art