Consultant appt about reversal

• 5 replies
  • 31 subscribers

Hello…. Hope you are all keeping well and enjoying the warm weekend.

I had a LAR in January and an enema X-ray a month ago and told my bowel has repaired well and no sign of any leaks.  I have an appointment with my consultant on Tuesday to discuss reversal of ileostomy op.  

Any questions you think I need to ask?  I’ve researched a wee bit about reversals but can’t think of anything to ask really as it seems to be case of when your bowel starts working you get discharged from hosp and it’s a matter of see how things go from there….

thanks 

Cat

• Hi Cat

My LAR was August and I was checked quickly for leaks etc.

I had my consultation about a Reversal January 5th. I was given detailed info about all of the possibles of the op. The postitive and negative but most importantly I was told if I had problems there was support. It made me feel I had choices and in control. I was asked if I wanted it before the info was given so I really hope that you have a similar experience 

Write down your concerns and any prep you think of. 

I was told a year wait 

Ann
     ‍Art

• Hi Cat

My LAR was August and I was checked quickly for leaks etc.

I had my consultation about a Reversal January 5th. I was given detailed info about all of the possibles of the op. The postitive and negative but most importantly I was told if I had problems there was support. It made me feel I had choices and in control. I was asked if I wanted it before the info was given so I really hope that you have a similar experience 

Write down your concerns and any prep you think of. 

I was told a year wait 

Ann
     ‍Art

• Thanks Artsie Ann …. That’s helpful.

Best wishes 

Catz

• I originally had a colostomy and then an ileostomy.  It was reversed after almost exactly 2 years, in March 2022.  I spoke with my consultant 6 weeks later and described my "issues". She said that I had LAR syndrome.  I Googled it and the symptoms I read of were identical to those I had, except that I have never soiled myself.  Trapped wind, frequent bowel movements, periods with no movements, permanent discomfort and loads of trips to the loo in the middle of the night.  Also, motions smaller and thinner than previously.  I was told that things would improve and, over the course of a few weeks, they did (and continue to do so). Apparently the effects depend upon exactly where the join is.  In my case, it was about 12cm in from the bottom.  Apparently, the nearer your bottom, potentially the worse the issues.  I know we shouldn't Google our symptoms, but look up LAR syndrome.

• I am a candidate for LARS we talked about it in my consultation although I’d read about it here so I was pre-warned  I’m still going to try.
    My consultant said that if it’s unmanageable I can have a permanent colostomy. 

It’s individual choice 

Ann
     ‍Art