Watery output

• 3 replies
  • 20 subscribers

Morning everyone, just looking for advice please! My husband’s output is very watery and it doesn’t seem to matter what he eats or drinks. He’s had the stoma for about 6 weeks, any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks. 

• Hi  and welcome to the group.

You haven’t mentioned which type of stoma your husband has, but typically the output from an ileostomy is more liquid and frequent than that from a colostomy. 

I have a permanent colostomy but in those early weeks after surgery my output was very watery until things settled down and healed. I was eating very little at that stage. 

There have been many tips before on the group about what to eat to thicken up output, so I’ll let other members come along and post some tips for you which might be helpful. If you let us know the type of stoma your husband has, this will also be useful for the group to know.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi Sarah, 

i think it’s a colostomy. He had bowel cancer and the original operation didn’t work so he now has a stoma.

thanks 

• Hello Mazzab64,

Output from my ileostomy varies for no particular reason, although old-fashioned porridge (not the instant stuff) slows things down a bit. Also I now eat smooth peanut butter by the spoonful as the nuts are too coarse to eat normally and this puts the brakes on as well. Cheddar cheese has the same effect. Lager or cider can produce a most watery, almost transparent output but not always!

Dulac