Stoma reversal

• 8 replies
  • 20 subscribers

I’m booked in for a reversal on Thursday.

any hints and tips pre and post surgery would be really welcomed

hope everyone is doing ok Slight smile

• Hi  and welcome

Have you seen the dedicated sub forum in the group for living well with a stoma reversal and LARS? It’s in the headings on the main group page. Loads of advice there until you get some replies here. I can’t have a reversal, so no help to you, but I’ll tag my friend  who has gone through this. There will be lots of others too who will hopefully come along and post.

All the best with the surgery! 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thanks for replying

• Thanks Sarah 

Hello NickyP

Congrats on your appointment for your reversal. The op itself isn’t long or invasive they usually book them in around the larger ops. So I wasn’t prepared for an arrival at 6.30 then wait until 4.30 without anything to do or occupy myself. Also people were getting cancelled around me so I found that part the most stressful. I nearly walked at two p.m as I wasnt even in the side room ready to go. 
    So I  would take something to read or ear buds for music or films whatever you fancy. 

At home I was prepared, I ordered into incontinence pads, sudocream or similar. 

I slept near the toilet when I got home , it was just more convenient all around. I also bought a portable bidet it’s only about five pounds a squeezy bottle would suffice. My bottom was a little sore 

I read up on masses of posts here you can find answers there. There are some really funny posts I will see if I can find some later. 

The strangest thing was my first experience of passing wind. 

My diet I went back to bulking foods and low fibre similar to after my LAR. Eating is really important I tried not to and found I still passed stools but it was fluid so difficult to control 

Good luck with it ask me anything

Best wishes 

Ann
     ‍Art

• Found it.  
    This should make you smile. It did me, Karen shared it with me. 
    best wishes 

community.macmillan.org.uk/.../1386422

Ann
     ‍Art

• Thanks Ann

ive just had the dreaded drink in preparation for the op

• Oh bless 

I didn’t find that drink as awlful as the bowel emptying one.

They said it didn’t need to be empty as it wasn’t used for thirteen months  so you should be fine  

The two drinks I had were pre op   

Good luck tomorrow. I’ll be thinking of you I’m sending you my very best wishes. 

Ann
     ‍Art

• I’m sure I’ll be in touch for more advice and encouraging words lol

thanks Ann 

• Good Luck. Grin

Ann
     ‍Art