Post op normal stoma production

• 2 replies
  • 20 subscribers

Hi everyone, it’s been almost 2 days since my loop colostomy was formed. Just blood exiting at the moment. How long did it take others for normal stools to appear? I’ve been constipated for 6 days now and drinking and eating loads! Going to have a suppository into the stoma to help this afternoon. My tummy is so sore. Thanks 

jason 

• Hi  and welcome to the group.

Sounds unpleasant for you to be constipated like this and also so soon after surgery. I’m amazed you are eating and drinking loads 2 days out from surgery-my experience was very different.

My stoma began to produce output around 6-7 days after surgery, and my doctors weren’t at all concerned due to the fact that I was producing wind. They said it would happen in due course and it did!

I hope you’re feeling a little more comfortable now.

Sarah x  

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• HI Crabby, i remember asking about this post op. The head stoma nurse explained that, as in normal bowel movements everyone is different. This is obvious but just something that you never really think about, till now ! Not quite sure but I think I was a fair few days. Just my experience but it was very watery and still often is but that’s normal. There really is more questions than answers when it comes down to it. For instance trying to work out what you ate or drank 3 days ago because the stool has been different and so it MUST be the pickled onions from that time ! I found that eating smaller meals and more often helps and as well as drinking water of course. It might not seem possible now but believe me it gets easier pretty quickly as soon as you start putting it to the back of your mind. Be positive, I forget Iv got it nearly all the time, you will get there my friend and sooner than you imagine.if you’re stoma team are half as good as mine were they will be there for you, make sure you use them !