Reaccurance and stoma bag

• 3 replies
  • 19 subscribers

Hi I have been diagnosed with a reaccurance o bowel cancer I was diagnosed 3 years ago this month I go in for tumour removal hysterectomy and permanent colonoscopy bag a procedure called pelvic flaps getting put in my pelvis I had chemo 3 years ago rang the bell I am devastated that it has returned in my pelvis I go in for surgery 12march I am petrified 

• Hi  and welcome to the group.

I’ve had surgery which involved the removal of the whole of my reproductive system, my rectum and vagina, although I didn’t have pelvic flaps. I now live with a permanent colostomy and a urostomy.

There is no doubt you are facing a very big surgery and it’s normal to be very scared about what is to come. My surgery was for a recurrence of my cervical cancer, and I remember how devastating it was to hear my cancer was back. It was worse for me than my original diagnosis.

However, my surgery was almost 4years ago, and although my recovery was tough, I did get through!

Is there anything in particular you would like to find out about at the moment? There are a lot of different experiences in the group, so there will usually be someone who can help with any questions. 

It’s not long now till your surgery and in a couple of weeks it will all be over, and you will hopefully be on the starting road to recovery. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Words of sympathy and encouragement seem inadequate but are sincerely meant

• Hello Dolittle. As a male I can only comment on the permanent stoma which I had 18 months ago. Iv always been a doctor dodger and petrified was certainly me. All I can say is that it is definitely true that the waiting and the constant thinking is the worst part. I’m hoping that ,as in my case, that when you wake in the hospital post op the sence of relief will be wonderful, and I’m sure it will. The pain relief really does work believe me. Post op positive thinking really DOES work. I got out of bed and walked around at the first opportunity and was out in 5/6 days. Best of luck Dolittle, the staff and care I received in NHS hospital was amazing, im sure you’ll be the same. I forget that I has a stoma most of the time and I go swimming 3 times a week . I’m sure you will be fine. P.S I’m 65 and feel fine xx