Stoma

• 2 replies
  • 19 subscribers

Hi getting permanent stoma bag in few weeks full hysterectomy I was diagnosed 3 years ago went through chemo rang bell went for scan results 31/7/23 returned in my pelvis I go up today to meet surgeons I am petrified x

• Hi Dolittle my wife and I both have permanent Stomas in fact we had operations on the same day mine was due to anal cancer and they removed all my anus/rectum. My wife had other bowel problems for many years and she had a full hysterectomy many years ago. We are both okay and coping fine our operations were March last year and I hardly give a thought to the stoma and bags now just change it when needed it's not much different than going toilet normally except standing up. You will find that the stoma Nurses are very good and will make sure you are OK.  In fact if you contact them now they can talk you through it and even give you a stick on stoma and bag to get the feel of it. I know it's a daunting prospect but honestly it's not as bad as you think. Good luck. And hope all goes well.  Dave 

• Hi  and welcome to the group.

Yes, it’s scary but really not as bad as you imagine. Are you happy to share with us what operation you are having, as we have had many different types of surgery within the group, so it might be useful to connect with people who had the same type of cancer as you? I notice you are a member of the bowel group but you mention full hysterectomy. Is that something you’ve had done already or is it part of the upcoming surgery? 

I had recurrent cervical cancer, so had a total pelvic exenteration almost 4 years ago, which left me with a permanent colostomy and a urostomy. It’s tough at first but honestly becomes second nature pretty quickly. I hope your appointment goes well, and you get answers to any questions you have.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm