Firming up stoma output

• 19 replies
  • 24 subscribers

Hi again, I need some advice on how to make my stoma output firmer, I want to do tablet only chemo but can't unless things improve fast. I slavishly follow the foods listed to firm, but it doesn't change from watery with tiny pieces,  any ideas please 

• Hi  

Can you tell us what you’ve already tried so we don’t suggest the same things to you please? It would be helpful to see what you’ve already done to see if any of us can suggest anything else. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• I'm in UK.  I have found that one or two cream cracker biscuits after main meals or when output is loose seems to have a firming up consequence.

• Hi Milkmaid66

I'm not sure what you've tried already but the following things work for me - stewed or baked apples (or anything containing stewed apples), slightly under-ripe bananas, cauliflower cheese and homemade vegetable soup.

Are you allowed to try loperamide (immodium)?  I've never used it myself, and it may not be allowed with chemo, but it might be worth asking your professional.

I hope that you can find something that works.

• In UK we are issued with loperamide during and after Hospital. I used it for the first few weeks and it is effective, now I prefer to use more natural ways.

• Not allowed loperimide, eating low fibre, bananas, now trying jelly babies( which I dislike) have been religious about the diet but its still just liquid which is making my stoma sore. Spoke to stoma nurse who is sending a seal to help soreness but no other ideas

• Hi. 

I found a dry cracker, wotsits or similar thickened

By the way I hated wotsits before but became addicted to the affect it had on the consistency 

I tried jelly babies and marshmallows which slowed the output but I didn’t find thickens.

Anything with a dry consistency worked for me. I used to have two dry crackers late at about ten in the evening. Empty my pouch  twelve then I had a good nights rest. 

My surrounding skin was really sore so I used Eakin Slims which again helped 

Hope things improve 

Best wishes 

Ann
     ‍Art

• I find old-fashioned porridge (not the instant stuff) with milk cooked in the microwave until boiling works when necessary. I do throw in a few squares of high cocoa chocolate and a few grapes as a treat and stir it all together. After a couple of minutes it thickens and makes a filling breakfast. It certainly makes things a bit more 'natural'.

Also, a barrier spray is available from stoma suppliers to protect exposed skin.

• Totally agree about the porridge.  Haven't tried it with cocoa but will.. I wrote away and received 2 days ago a free sample of a small can of barrier spray.  I've only tried it once but wasn't imprOpen mouthsed with the spray which was not a fine mist more of a drizzle but will give it a few more goes. It's unbelievably expensive Open mouth

• The company here in UK for the free sample spray barrier is Rhodes Pharma 

• Thanks  folks, trying the crackers and porridge,  will let you know how it goes