ileostomy

• 8 replies
  • 20 subscribers

Hi 

had surgery 11 days ago and been home 5 days I am having problems my bag keeps leaking and my stomach feels like it is pulling and it’s sore and red is this normal 

• Hi Shyness

I'm sorry to see that you're having issues with the stoma. It's horrible, isn't it? Are you a colostomy or ileostomy?

In the first instance I'd recommend you contact your stoma nurse. They'll be able to check that the template for your stoma bag is the right size and that you're applying it correctly. It's important that the pouch fits snugly around the stoma, without bare skin showing. The stoma nurse may also advise a barrier ring or cream or a different type of pouch entirely. It's not unusual to have leaks and skin issues in the early days, especially since the stoma changes in size and shape,  and there are lots of things that the stoma nurse can help you with so don't despair. It might be something as simple as getting her to cut you a new template.

I hope that you get some relief soon but please come back on here if you need any further help.

Take care.

• Hi blueblue

thankyou for giving me information I have left a voicemail for the stoma nurse to hopefully contact me tomorrow morning I am so worried at the moment with it all being new to me and don’t know what is normal and what isn’t 

• Hi Shyness

I had exactly the same it was a case of new user error, product and my skin sensitivity 

I contacted my nurses who were reluctant to see me however I insisted as I had blood on my stoma and the surrounding skin was sore

I was two weeks post op and my stoma was quite flat and misshaped 

They cut a larger template changed my flat bags to convex and gave me Eakin slims. They are a type of putty like washer that I could mould around the edge of my stoma. The convex bags guided my output to the right place. Thank goodness 

My skin improved quickly I also used a little calamine making sure it was dry before attaching the bag

The convex really worked well but I fancied a change a year later so I had the flat bags again they were the same make oddly after a few minutes of applying the bag itching and red skin soon convinced me to stay with the product that suited me 

Take care I hope that they find the right product for you 

Ann
     ‍Art

• Hi artsie

thankyou for information I am finding it really hard to get it to sit properly and my skin isn’t liking it hopefully they will see me and have a look what can be done 

• It’s horrible I had the same.

I couldn’t see where I was putting the thing. However I found my way of applying the bag and in no time I was in and out sorted

Its early days and I found this group such a lovely support full of advice and info 

Best wishes 

Ann
     ‍Art

• Hi artsie

hopefully I get the hang of it soon 

• You will.

You’re in the early days. It’s takes a little while but once they give you the right product fir you it’ll be a game changer 

x

Ann
     ‍Art

• Hi Shyness

Like Artsie says it will definitely get better. I had the same issues to start off with too but once my pouch was changed from a flat one to a convex it was 100% better- not a single leak since, and such a relief. It also helps to warm the pouch up before you use it. Tuck it under your armpit or warm it on the radiator for a couple of minutes. Once it's applied gently press the palm of your hand over it for a minute too. The warmth helps with the stickability. 

• I hope that the stoma nurse phones you back tomorrow and gets things sorted out for you. They have lots of different product choices and there will be something there that's right for you.