11 months in with colostomy and urostomy

• 3 replies
  • 20 subscribers

following surgery for removal of bowel bladder and prostrate finding the only real issue is the urostomy, have to change pouches twice a day, not a problem but find the urostomy does spring a leak when attempting any twisting or bending, looking for suggestions to help prevent this, tried convex pouches , definitely do not work, do all the right things to prepare the pouch fixing ,heating it ,making sure the skin is cleaned without any soaps and dry.need to get back to running and gym , is there a suitable support belt, appreciate any suggestions.

• Hi  

I am also a double bagger, and although I don’t use a support belt, I have had issues with leaks from the urostomy. You are doing all the right things it seems, and I thought I was too.

Two additional products to use with my urostomy made an absolutely massive difference to me, so I wondered if you’d tried them? One is Independence Fusion Applicators  which provides extra adhesive you put directly on your skin around the stoma-it’s like a little lollipop stick you just wipe around the area. The other is using flange extenders-Brava Elastic Strips, which are adhesive (peel the back off) strips and you put one round each side of the bag and stick it to your skin. You can order free samples online. 

They give me a lot of confidence and I cannot remember the last time I had a leak. If you choose to go down the route of a support belt, I’d just recommend that you get properly measured for it by the company providing it. I didn’t want to have the restriction of a belt, but found the two extra products I use made it unnecessary for me. 

I hope you can get something you are comfortable with-I know it’s absolutely horrible having leaks. Good luck!

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi sarahh21

thanks for the info, that’s a real help, have an appointment with my stoma nurse tomorrow will arrange for the side strips and extra adhesive, better than a support belt.xx

• Excellent! Let us know how you get on. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm