Stoma bag

• 3 replies
  • 21 subscribers

Has anyone any ideas,I have to get up 3 or 4 times every night to empty stoma bag because  it gets full of air and  if I leave it it leaks

• I don't want to be condescending but just in case have you made sure the air filter on the bag is clear ie removed tape. 

• Hi there Tall grandad 

I didn't have an issue until I had a craft ale one evening. I’m normally a wine girl but I really fancied a change. 
    It was gassed up all night. Three or four time’s actually it made me smile it was so swollen and tight closest I’d ever been to a real balloon 

I went back to wine 

Ann
     ‍Art

• Hi Tall Grandad

It might be due to something in your diet.  As Artsie says this can be caused by fizzy drinks but sometimes certain foods too like onions or green veg.  It might be worth keeping a food diary to see if you can pinpoint the cause.

Also, I prefer to not eat after 6-6.30pm which generally means that I'm not up at all overnight.

You could also try using flange extenders (banana strips) around the baseplate of your stoma pouch for a bit of added security.  These help to keep the pouch stuck a bit more firmly in place.  Your stoma nurse should be able to give you samples of these to try.

Good luck.