Ileostomy

• 3 replies
  • 21 subscribers

Hello All, I had an ileostomy 4 weeks ago and while I have had info from the nurses in the colorectal unit, I am just wondering if there is anything I should be aware of that could occur from the experiences of people who actually have a stoma. Also any tips or advice about care of the stoma would be helpful. Thank you in anticipation of your advice

• Hi. There’s lots of hints and tips in previous posts if you type a key word in the search box at the top of the screen. I think the main thing to be aware of is diet. It’s important to chew, chew, chew your food and there are some that are best avoided like nuts, coconut as they can clump together and block the stoma. Hydration is also important particularly if your output is loose.

Ive attached a link to a good page from one of the suppliers websites which you might like to have a look at? 
    https://www.salts.co.uk/en-gb/your-stoma/living-with-a-stoma/dietary-nutritional-advice

Have you had some follow up appointments with your stoma nurse? They should be making sure that your bags are a good fit and there’s no soreness but if there’s a particular issue that you’re having then please feel free to ask?

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Thanks Kareno62 for your advice, the page from your link is especially good x

• Hi. I hope that you are managing your Stoma well. I found it challenging to start with but once I got the right product and had my products lined up ready for use it took no time to change and be ready for the day

if you have any specific questions pop them up here and you’ll have tips to help. 

I joined here to get advice in the early days and this group gave me the confidence to live life to the full.
    Best wishes 

Ann
     ‍Art