Stoma but still feeling the need to use the toilet

• 5 replies
  • 22 subscribers

Hi my partner got a stoma approx 8/10 weeks ago after being diagnosed with stage 4 bowel. He’s doing amazing, having chemo and doing what the drs tell him! But he still feels like he needs the toilet, and when he goes generally there is blood nothing else. Not a huge amount but it’s there. Has anyone else had this? It doesn’t happen everyday. I will of course ring his nurse tomorrow but just looking for reassurance right now x

• Yes, you should check with the nurse or consultant. The feeling is quite normal, i experienced it throughout the 10 months of my colostomy & chemo- radiation, I also had stage 4 colon cancer.But he does need to check about the blood loss.

They then  did a reversal during my operation to remove the tumour & put a loop ileostomy ( =temporary).

I am only telling you this as the very harsh chemo treatment works, however tought it is, he must not give up,, the result can be good. and he needs a good positive support around him. You are doing a great job! 

I have not had yet the results of my operation,  Fingers crossed, but I am very hopeful.

Good luck to both of you , love, 

Brigitte

• Hi thank you for replying, I will ring them tomorrow. I’m not totally sure what type of stoma gary has, but they have said maybe in the future it can be reversed.we are very positive (as much as we can be) and only look on here for advice not the internet. He starts a new targeted therapy on Thursday as well as hiS chemo. But it’s all positive. Without sounding really stupid what’s the difference between bowel and colon cancer? His oncologist calls it bowel but his surgeon calls it colon? I don’t like to ask them again! Prayers and positive thoughts that your results are good news xx

• Hi LorraineT

I thought I’d like to wish you well and say hello. The main two stoma’s  formed for cancer are Ileostomy and colostomy. It depends on what type of operation is needed. 
    I didn’t know what an Ileostomy was when I got my diagnosis. It’s a sharp learning curve. 
    I had the feeling that I needed to go to the toilet but it was pure mucus. The medics will be able to advice you. 
    im not a medic but I think the colon is also known as the large bowel. So they’re both right though confusing you. Like it would me. 
    Take care 

Ann
     ‍Art

• Hi . I think both bowel cancer and colon cancer are used to mean the same thing generally - there’s a good explanation and picture on page 3 of this booklet

https://bowelcancerorguk.s3.amazonaws.com/Publications/YourPathway_BowelCancerUK.pdf

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Hi Kareno62, & Lorraine,

the difference between  a colostomy & ileostomy is simple .the colostomy is  attached to the colon, on the left side, no special diet to follow with it as food has been completely  digested  , &  is ready to be evacuated. Whereas the ileostomy is coming from the small intestine , on the right side  of the stomach, food has not yet been digested  through the colon, therefore, it come out liquidy & you need to ensure a good diet with salt , sugar, full fat, protein & low fibre . You can gradually reintroduce greens but no nuts.

A lovely nurse explained this to me very clearly,, before my operation . I hope this helps .Take care,

Bri26