Advice please - Ileostomy or colostomy?

• 6 replies
  • 22 subscribers

I have rectal cancer and neuroendocrine cancer in my ileum. 
My surgeon wants to remove both at the same time.

He is offering me a choice of a temporary Ileostomy but with warnings it may take a year or more to get reversed

Or a colostomy which would be permanent - he is concerned that due to radiotherapy he may not be able to successfully rejoin the sections of the rectum.

any advice or experience of this “choice” would be welcome - operation planned for 20 January!

• Sax I'm sorry that I personally can't give you help with your problem .All I know is that my consultant said that they have to give your body time to recover from chemotherapy\radiotherapy before they can operate  .Hopefully you can come to the best choice for you .

.Kissing heartAlaine

• Hi Sax, I had five weeks of chemo radiotherapy before a lower anterior resection. Although side effects of the radiotherapy were mentioned (mainly in the booklet I was given) the possibility of it affecting the join up wasn't mentioned at all. I think I would be asking how often it causes a problem.

I had an ileostomy for a year before a successful reversal, it was something you just cope with and it didn't stop me doing anything. Nor would the colostomy. 

Has anyone suggested whether one or the other is better after the ileum removal as I presume it will affect the output? Similarly if you have the reversal will the ileum removal affect your bowel control more?  If there is no benefit from one ostomy or the other can you opt for the ileostomy with a back up of being able to then have a colostomy if the reversal and subsequent control doesn't work out right, or is just one choice now?

More questions than answers I am afraid. Whatever you decide to do I hope that it is successful and you have a good recovery.

All the best, John

• Hi Sax

I had the same operation as John and have an ileostomy with a stoma. There’s a possibility that I may have a reversal and it’s going to be a long way off  Like John I’m fine with my stoma  it saved my life and got that horrid cancer out  

So my question would be can you have the ileostomy. Hopefully have reversal or if that’s not available have a colostomy! 

My surgeon has been really supportive and said that if I am unable to have the reversal I could have a colostomy. Well I asked him. I do like to know all of my options. 

I hope that you have your treatment soon. 

Ann
     ‍Art

• Thanks - That’s all very much in line with my thinking.

• That’s really good. 
    The ileostomy is absolutely fine, I was worried about it but terrified of the cancer. The great benefit for me was the food that I was able to eat. White bread! Hadn’t had that for years. You have to eat high sugar, salt and carbs and I lost weight. Win win. 
    You take care and whichever you receive join the stoma support group here. They’re absolutely fantastic 

Ann
     ‍Art