Diet during chemo with stoma

• 3 replies
  • 20 subscribers

Hello,  I am new to page and posting on behalf of my Mum who has had her stoma now for a couple of years following bowel cancer.  The cancer spread to liver which was removed last year but has now returned in liver, lung and stomach lining.  Although the cancer is no longer curable, she is starting chemo again on Thurs to hopefully stop the growth.  I am looking for some advice about different foods she can eat with her stoma that will help to boost her immune system during chemo and potentially help to stop growth of cancel cells.  I feel now we need to try anything to keep it at bay as we just don't know how long we have got her for and the chemo is stronger this time. Any help and advice at all will be greatly appreciated.

• Hi Rainvow4

Sorry to hear about your Mum. I had a colostomy at the end of December and am currently in my 4th cycle of Capox. I struggle sometimes with no appetite, but thought I would pass on what the doctor on the chemo ward said. He was very insistent that I really must eat as much protein as possible, because the chemo attacks the protein in your body. So I eat eggs or fish every day (I don’t eat meat), fortified cereal and I also try to eat high protein bars. Also nuts - I don’t have any problem with nuts and my stoma, but I know some people do.
     I know this isn’t answering your question re boosting the immune system but hopefully it will help. Hope the chemo goes well x

• Hi ,

Thank you for your reply, unfortunately my Mum passed away a couple of weeks ago, before she could even start chemo.  Heartbroken.

I hope everything goes well for you and thanks again for taking the time to reply.

• Dear Rainvow4,

Oh no, I am so sorry to hear this. How sad for you and your family, you have my sincere condolences. Cherish the happy memories xxx